Outside of Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roryspa

Reaction score
Ok... so maybe I just have OCD, but I just bought a couple used kegs and one has labels on it. Both have seen better days on the outside. There must be a way to clean up the appearance. I know that there must be a way because you can buy the reconditioned kegs that have labels removed and that have been cleaned up. I know that the outer appearance does not matter maybe its more curiosity/
Thanks,

Get an old knife that you don't care about or a razor blade (I found an old, non-serrated steak knife worked best) and peel the stickers off. This will leave behind a residue. I used goo-gone to get rid of the sticker adhesive.

Then a green scrubbie with Bar Keeper's Friend (can be found in most groceries in the scouring powder section) and some elbow grease.

Items to keep in mind:

After you clean up the outsides you'll need to clean the keg again and get rid of every tiny bit of goo-gone and BKF and make it all clean and pure again.

The black rubber foot and handle may mark up your white tub or even your stainless steel sink. Be prepared to spend time scrubbing the sink/tub after you get done cleaning your keg.

If possible do the scrubbing outdoors-- it's lots easier if youdont' have to worry about getting water on the floor or degreaser in your SWMBO's loofa.

Take advantage of this time to do a comeplete teaerdown of your keg. Disassemble it to it's smallest components, inspeat the seals and seams and generally ensure that the keg is in top shape.

To put a final polish on the keg once it is as cleaned up as you want it: rinse the keg down, take a damp bar rag/cloth and put an ample amount of BKF on it, rub the keg in a systematic fashion from top to bottom. Makes it pretty shiney.

I bought stickers for my kegs. Not only do they look good but I generally used them to cover up the original owner's 'property of' stamp. You can find my review of the sticekrs I bought here.

Personally I think that a clean exterior of your keg isnt' required but when you haul them to parties and events, not only does a clean appearance make people feel better abotu trying yoru beer (after all if the outside is all scummy, why would they believe the inside wasn't) but the label ensures that my kegs don't end up in someone else's collection.

Just my experience.

Especially if you work where you greet a lot of people --WEAR GLOVES!!!

Man, the old rubber came off and embedded into all the lines on my hands. I washed about 20 times a day and it was still there 2 weeks later.

Of course, it lessened every day, but damn, is it ever embarassing when someone puts out their hand to shake it and you throw out this ugly black mess.

Don't be surprised if they withdraw their hand thinking you have some kind of disease.

Oh, yeah, I used the long green scrubbies and cut it to size to my palm sander. Got the pad a little wet and added the powder to it. Most of the time the powder just slides off of the kegs even when it's wet.

*shrug* Never had the 'black lines' problem.

But gloves sounds like a good idea.

Yeah-- the powder seem to bounce right off of the keg-- apply powder to scrubbie.

I wish I had thought of the hand sander. That would have given me much more consistent results.

After the scrubby, if you want a really smooth finish, you can use 400 grit wet sandpaper, then some brasso on a buffing wheel or hand polish. I only did this to one of my kegs but it looked brand new in about 30 minutes worth of work. A little silicone spray on the rubber boots look great too.

Latest posts

Back