Outrageous brew: Capsicum-wine from hell!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asrial

Reaction score
Situation: I'm waiting for my brew supplier to send me a set of new bucket lids with drilled holes for my airlocks (old ones broke since i tried drilling into them with a 15mm head... fail). I got a lager yeast strain I planned to use for a marzen-experiment, and there's just way too much. Also got 2 buckets empty after brewing... Plus I just read the novelty wine blog.

Plan: I will brew a wine based on bell peppers, jalapeños and spiced with 3AM special reserve (Blairs hottest commercially available condiment, 1mil scoville).

Choices viable:
  1. I will brew it like a wine, use additional flavouring like tomato, lime and exotic fruit juice, and ferment it normally.
  2. I will ferment it with nothing but capsicums and white sugar, distill it to 120 proof, spice it and then dilute to 80 proof.
(NOTE: I know that distilling is illegal in normal cases, but I have equipment which allows me to distill for scientific purposes, because I am a chemistry student. Besides, both my godfather and grandfather are retired professionals, who has a license. FOR SCIENCE!)

But would this be a viable apertif-wine, or am i just beyond nuts? :drunk:

^ That is partially true.
Capsaicin, the active component in chilis, will mostly be stripped away when distilling. The flavour, on the other hand, will pretty much act the same way as when you distill cognac or eau de vie. I'm low-proof distilling to ensure there's a lot of flavours present in the finished product, as I allow a lot of the original wine to evaporate.

I just want the flavour of the chilis and bell peppers to be subtle if going this route, hence why I'm not soaking pure grain alcohol with bell peppers. And the strength is more manageable if I dose it directly.

Should make a nice Minnesota Mary which is a spicy bloody mary but the easy way to make the spicy vodka for it is just shove jalapenos in the bottle and let them soak.

^I just explained why I DIDN'T want to soak peppers. Either I'm brewing a strong wine or distilling.

^I just explained why I DIDN'T want to soak peppers. Either I'm brewing a strong wine or distilling.

I was just explaining a simple method for people interested in spicy drinks.
It is apparent your above this and that is fine.
I hope you get fire butt.

I'm not trying to be rude here, I'm just pointing out that you ignored what I wrote and went off-topic. :) Might be a cool way to add heat to a drink, but quite frankly, that's not what this thread is about.

I just ordered a batch of chili seeds, including jolokia chili seeds, right now I'm just waiting. Just in case, also ordered some chipotles...
And I'm thinking I'm sticking to the wine; much more manageable in these small scales.

Back