Outdoor dog runs - show me yours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neunelfer

Reaction score
So I purchased an "outdoor dog cage" that was roughly a 6ft x 4ft fenced area with a gate on it. Within 2 weeks my black lab puppy (65lbs, 10 months old) broke two of the welds and escaped both times having a chew fest on anything and everything he could find in my garage until I noticed he could escape.

I brought the cage back to the farm store and the lady said "the cage wasn't designed to hold a heavy dog". Yet the box has a picture of a golden retriever on it. What a crazy consumer I am to think that a "dog cage" could cage in a dog. :cross: Anyways after speaking to the manager he almost instantly offered me a full refund.

So now I need an outdoor situation for while I am away from the dog. The dog loves loves loves to dig, so anything on grass is out. I don't want to pour cement. I have a nice side yard but it is gravel and dirt so that seems kind of cruel to make my dog lay in that for 6 hours or so.

What do you guys do? I was thinking cyclone fencing but I need to figure out how to anchor it, and how to put something on the ground that he can't rip up and will be comfortable and safe to lay on.

Lets hear/see what you guys got.

Here is a picture of the gate breaking monster:

Guinness3.jpg

Edit: Whoops I meant to put this in the non-drunk section. :D

Not sure about the floor, but I found this when I was looking for cheap alternatives to store bought pens. I haven't built it yet, but it should be pretty cheap and, especially if you glue all the joints, sturdy.

I guess you could attach it to a full sheet of plywood and cover the plywood with a tarp, old blankets, etc. to make it a little more comfortable.

carport2.jpg

Doggie door and fully fenced property. The whole yard is a dog run, and they can get back into the AC when needed- important with an English Bulldog

moe.jpg

i was against it only used it after all else failed but 100 lb german shepherd was kept in the backyard by an electric fence. boy she respects that thing.

Crate train him. It might be rough at first, but he'll learn to love it.

Yep, my dog loves her crate. I don't even have to tell her to get in when I leave for work, she walks right in when I grab my keys... in the morning that is, if it is the afternoon that means she is coming with me to somewhere.

fence the side on the gravel in if you don't want him on grass.why not on the grass? put his crate out there with him for a safe place while your away.

That is a beautiful lab. My God, I wish I could get myself a nice Black Lab puppy.

So smart, and so loyal. I envy you.

Dogs love to lay in the dirt, at least everyone I've had did/does. The main thing you need, is to provide some form of shelter from the rain and sun. So, if the sideyard isn't being used for anything else, just put up a fence. I use 5 foot hog wire. If it can hold 600 lb pigs, it can hold a lab puppy.

Some dogs just don't like being in small pens I found after much trial and error the only thing that worked with my dog was to put in an invisible fence, it takes a lot of training but after it's all said and done your dog will respect it.

Some dogs just don't like being in small pens I found after much trial and error the only thing that worked with my dog was to put in an invisible fence, it takes a lot of training but after it's all said and done your dog will respect it.

:off: My neighbors kids take the collars off their 2 dogs and put them on and the other kids try to push or drag them across the invisible fence.

I think you should consider crate training the dog if you don't trust it in the house when you're gone. In most situations, animals prefer to be inside the house rather than outside, and leaving the dog out there all day while you're at work could be cruel. Crate training is a great method that will make the dog feel secure and satisfied while you're away.

We adopted a dog that was relegated to a 4x4 outdoor pen because he would chew things when he was inside (he was a puppy), and the owners didn't want to deal with him. Then when they moved, they left him in the back yard.

On the invisible fence idea, growing up, we had a dog that would roam around the neighborhood, apparently the 15 acres we lived on wasn't good enough for her. My parents put in an invisible fence on a 1 acre portion of the property. The dog learned where it was, and would just jump as high as she could, yelp as she got zapped, then be on her merry way.

I think you should consider crate training the dog if you don't trust it in the house when you're gone. In most situations, animals prefer to be inside the house rather than outside, and leaving the dog out there all day while you're at work could be cruel. Crate training is a great method that will make the dog feel secure and satisfied while you're away.

We adopted a dog that was relegated to a 4x4 outdoor pen because he would chew things when he was inside (he was a puppy), and the owners didn't want to deal with him. Then when they moved, they left him in the back yard.

On the invisible fence idea, growing up, we had a dog that would roam around the neighborhood, apparently the 15 acres we lived on wasn't good enough for her. My parents put in an invisible fence on a 1 acre portion of the property. The dog learned where it was, and would just jump as high as she could, yelp as she got zapped, then be on her merry way.

My dog is crate trained, I just don't want to leave him in there during the day.

But yeah, I would never consider the zap fence. On rainy days like today I don't mind leaving him in the crate so he doesn't get soaked, but on a nice day he seems to like being outside better. I think I'll just do cyclone fencing with a piece of smooth plywood and blankets.

But yeah, I would never consider the zap fence. On rainy days like today I don't mind leaving him in the crate so he doesn't get soaked, but on a nice day he seems to like being outside better. I think I'll just do cyclone fencing with a piece of smooth plywood and blankets.

You could get a dogloo or something like that with blankets of a pad in it to provide him shelter.

Yeah I saw those. They are like $150 for his size. :( I was hoping to keep this somewhat inexpensive... but that never happens with this dog.
Haha, yeah, rarely. You might try Craigslist. A friend got one in pretty good shape for $20.

I have to agree with the crate training. We have a Husky that we tried everything with. He clears 6 foot fences and digs like crazy. I didn't like to do it, but we now crate him in the cool basement and his behavior is wonderful now. We take him out running and to the dog park every day when we get home. He loves his crate and goes right in every morning.

build a doggie house. they can be built pretty cheap and look good. put up some poles and put some chainlink. use a zapper for a couple days and you can turn it off. it doesnt hurt the dog unless they bite on and hold but since they usually pulse it will release. all in all a couple hundred will get you a nice run and a place the pup can get some fresh air. as long as they get some fresh water they can live out in the heat. they just wont be that active and will most likely live in the shelter. when you build the dog house make the roof hinged for clean out.

Free Dog House Plans

How To Build a Dog Run | How To Do Things.com
Shows A - Z : Barkitecture : Building a Dog Run : DIY Network

oh yeah - and on the subject of dog runs ( ha aha ) we have an 8foot high fence, its 32x16x8, but we only put her in there if we're going to be gone overnight or most of the day

she won't leave the yard anyway

Back