Outdoor Built-in Natural Gas Burner???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayoungrad

Reaction score
Up until now I have always brewed indoors. But, I'm working on a small outdoor kitchen and I'm trying to decide between a floor burner and a built-in counter-top burner. Either way I will be using natural gas which is already set and ready to go in the area of the kitchen.

I do batches of 5-6 gallons right now but I guess you never know in the future...

I like the idea of a built-in like this:
http://www.blazegrills.com/product/blaze-built-in-power-burner/

I like it because its always there, plugged in to the gas, ready to go and can be used for other stove-top cooking outdoors. But I would have to get the pot on and off. And this is one of the cheaper ones on the market at $1000. It's 60K BTU but some slightly more expensive ones are up to 70K BTU. Is that powerful enough to easily get to a boil (probably starting with 7-8 gallons at the start of the boil)?

Or I could do a floor one like the Blickmann:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/burners/blichmann-floor-burner

It's also 70K BTU and only $200 converted to natural gas. And it would be easy to get the filled pot on and off on the floor. BUT, I'd have to plug/unplug the gas line and haul it out and put it away every time. And it wouldn't be useful for other outdoor cooking.

Then there are power-house floor burners like this (this is a pretty cheap one but...):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Would I need something that powerful?

Anyone with and experience with this stuff would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went through a back yard porch build last summer and have a similar burner as your first link. While it would be able to bring the wort to a boil it will work no where near as quickly as the blichman burner (which I also have plumbed in). I would buy the side burner for cooking for sure. I use mine a ton! Now they do have crab boil burners that are like the blichman that are built ins that would do it if you are looking for that look.

Make sure your plumber puts in the biggest ng main one he can especially if you have lots of items and or btus pulling off of it. We have close to 400,000 BTUs on our porch if the fireplace, grill, side burner,and blichman are running all at the same time.

Best thing about this build is no more lp tanks, brewing in the Texas heat infront of the garage, and all of my brew stuff fits in the cabinets on the porch!! Edit....forgot to add that with a quick disconnect plugging in the Blichman is not that big of a deal, if that's what's keeping you from going that route.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask....

Last edited:
Thanks.

Beautiful set-up!

So, the side burner you tried was also 70k BTU? Because it says the Blickmann is 70k BTU and some of the other built-ins are 70k BTU. Are the builtins less powerful because of distance from the pot or something? Is there another factor?

How did you plumb in your Blickmann? Do you keep it attached always? Store it? My space is MUCH smaller - like 7'x9' so space is at a premium to say the least.

You use the side burner during brew days? The one in the pic looks like a double burner one? Or is it the same idea as the link with controls for inside and outside of the same burner?

I THINK my line is 200k BTU.

Thanks for all the info!

Thanks.

Beautiful set-up!

So, the side burner you tried was also 70k BTU? Because it says the Blickmann is 70k BTU and some of the other built-ins are 70k BTU. Are the builtins less powerful because of distance from the pot or something? Is there another factor?

How did you plumb in your Blickmann? Do you keep it attached always? Store it? My space is MUCH smaller - like 7'x9' so space is at a premium to say the least.

You use the side burner during brew days? The one in the pic looks like a double burner one? Or is it the same idea as the link with controls for inside and outside of the same burner?

I THINK my line is 200k BTU.

Thanks for all the info!

Thanks...we saved for 5 years to have the coin for this lol

Missed that my dual side burner is only rated at 16000 btu per burner maybe a 70k burner would do it. But having it counter top height might pose another set of issues if you have a tall pot

I store my burner in the cabinet under the burner. It is the perfect size. So I don't keep it connected. I had the plumber plumb in a line that is in the double cabinet to the right of the kegerator. On the pipe side is the female quick disconnect. On the burner hose is the male quick disconnect. The hose stays permantly attached to the brass needle valve on the blichman.

I have my sparge water on my side burner when I brew. It is the delta heat dual burner if you want to look at the specs. I do do a lot of cooking on it. It's great for my cast iron cooking and slap a flattop on it and cook up a storm that way as well. It's wonderful to be able to be grilling and using a sauté pan at the same time without having to run inside to that cooktop.

http://www.deltaheat.com/double-side-burner.shtml

Oh I see your in Florida. I got the cabinets from a place by you. They are modular like inside cabinets but made of Marie e grade PVC and have all stainless hinges. They are the shiot if you ask me. Way happy I went with them and not some sort of masonry product.

http://werever.com/?gclid=CInN9-uyrsYCFVY9gQodYyYPtg

I just went through a back yard porch build last summer and have a similar burner as your first link. While it would be able to bring the wort to a boil it will work no where near as quickly as the blichman burner (which I also have plumbed in). I would buy the side burner for cooking for sure. I use mine a ton! Now they do have crab boil burners that are like the blichman that are built ins that would do it if you are looking for that look.

Make sure your plumber puts in the biggest ng main one he can especially if you have lots of items and or btus pulling off of it. We have close to 400,000 BTUs on our porch if the fireplace, grill, side burner,and blichman are running all at the same time.

Best thing about this build is no more lp tanks, brewing in the Texas heat infront of the garage, and all of my brew stuff fits in the cabinets on the porch!! Edit....forgot to add that with a quick disconnect plugging in the Blichman is not that big of a deal, if that's what's keeping you from going that route.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask....

holy crap that is an awesome backyard/covered porch/freaking awesome space. I am officially envious.

Back