Out of morbid curiosity...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windaria

Reaction score
Would anyone know how to make Extra Heavy Malagna? You know... the Manachevitz (sp) stuff that they serve at Jewish festivals at times?

Manischewitz describe Extra Heavy Malaga as 'a specially sweetened fruity wine with a generous mouth feel. The distinct aroma and flavor of fresh Concord grapes'

Sounds lovely....... :rolleyes:

Well... it is pretty thick stuff. Some people liken it unto cough syrup, but I had developed a taste for it a bit ago, but it has to be the Extra Heavy Malaga, not the Concord stuff that they make (I realize it may be made with Concord grapes, but the two are quite different). Maybe if I just tried making wine out of their Concord grape juice, and see what that comes out like...

I've never tried it and i'm not sure i really want to! Try the Manischewitz website for it's ingredients. You probably don't need the Rabbi to come over and declare your version Kosher! :)

I don't see the ingredients... just the mention of Concord grapes, but they all list that. And no, I don't much care what the Rabbi thinks. <smiles>

It's notable that kosher doesn't really mean 'blessed by a rabbi' in the sense of a priest stopping by to put a blessing on something. Really all kosher means is that it was prepared in accordance with Jewish dietary laws.

There are kosher certifications you can get but that is not required in order to 'keep kosher'-- the kosher certs are merely marketing tools that allow producers to market their wares more easily to the Jewish community.

kornkob said:
It's notable that kosher doesn't really mean 'blessed by a rabbi' in the sense of a priest stopping by to put a blessing on something. Really all kosher means is that it was prepared in accordance with Jewish dietary laws.

There are kosher certifications you can get but that is not required in order to 'keep kosher'-- the kosher certs are merely marketing tools that allow producers to market their wares more easily to the Jewish community.

I used to be in the Industrial Hose Industry until a couple of years ago - We even supplied 'Kosher' Hoses to Jewish Food Factories! It's not just the ingredients that matter - it's as you say, the preparation too!

Back