Out of CO2 on a weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POAS

Reaction score
It's Sunday and I just kegged a batch and found out that I am out of CO2. I can't purge the keg of oxygen until I get more CO2 which won't be until tomorrow. So I'll be purging it tomorrow night. Is that too long to wait? Will my beer get oxidized in 36 hours?

I also need to check for a leak because it doesn't seem like it was that long ago that I got it refilled, but that's another issue...

As long as the beer was transferred "gently" and has been sitting quietly since, I don't think 36 hours is going to cause measurable oxygenation...

Cheers!

I've been thinking about getting a small CO2 tank for times such as this.

I think you can get them at walmart for real cheap, not sure if they are filled or not tho. also not sure if its plug n play with your current setup, but i think it would work?

I think it will be fine, but if you are really worried, you can toss in a little sugar and let it carb naturally. That will take care of any potential O2 issues.

What size tank? How many kegs have you carb'd and served? If you are new to kegging then it is okay to not have a spare, but if you have been doing this for a little while then no excuses!

I think your beer will be okay. Being cold will help. Just get some co2 on it as fast as you can. Good luck.

Thanks! I just got a backup tank when I got the refill. Good idea. I have a propane backup, it just makes sense to have a CO2 backup too.

Back