Our brand new tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexnphillips

Reaction score
We just finished building our brew tower. Her name is black betty. Four tier gravity fed system. Let me know what you think.

Its posted on my brew partners website.

http://www.brewmorebeer.com/building-a-brew-tower

brew_tower_565_300.png

CIMG4315-300x225.jpg

CIMG4318-300x225.jpg

CIMG4307-225x300.jpg

Looks great! Good use of materials.
One question however. How are you going to move your water from the HLT to your mash tun. The heat shield is in the way?

Unistrut and 2 x 4s, correct? I may have to go that route, as I have a source for some very cheap unitrut (i.e. free salvage :))

*EDIT* Sorry - I read the post on the link you provided. Very nice!

One question however. How are you going to move your water from the HLT to your mash tun. The heat shield is in the way?

Heat shield does not quite go the edge of the tower. Using a couple foot hose just go around.

We have brewed about 4 batches on it but that was before it was even close to being ready. First batch (split batch of cherry and peach ale) on the completed system will be week after next. I'll make sure to get some pictures of it in action.

Heat shield does not quite go the edge of the tower. Using a couple foot hose just go around.

We have brewed about 4 batches on it but that was before it was even close to being ready. First batch (split batch of cherry and peach ale) on the completed system will be week after next. I'll make sure to get some pictures of it in action.

AHHH okay. Very nice job!!!!

I was thinking about this a little last night. What does everyone think about adding a hose attachment to the middle of the heat shield so we could use a short hose to connect directly from the HLT to the heat shied? Then on the other side have another hose or possibly build a sparge arm attachment

I was thinking about this a little last night. What does everyone think about adding a hose attachment to the middle of the heat shield so we could use a short hose to connect directly from the HLT to the heat shied? Then on the other side have another hose or possibly build a sparge arm attachment

what about just making the heat shield removable, but keeping the feet for it to sit in? or putting it on a hinge so it can be swung out of the way?

I really want to keep it in place if possible. We actually made small modification to it on brew day this past Saturday. We added in a u-bolt (probably not what it is called, bascially just a u shapped piece of metal that holds plumbing to the wall) to the side of the heat shield and ran the tubing through it. It worked perfectly!

Back