Oud Bruin 3209-PC w/ JP Dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rburditt

Reaction score
I'm trying my first sour using 3209. I was contemplating tossing in some JP dregs but don't want to screw this up. Would adding the dregs only be beneficial if aged for significantly longer than the 2 months that this yeast suggests? How would it change the flavor profile?

I was planning on the Oud Bruin recipe from the new sour book:

11 lbs 4.2 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
10.7 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM)
10.7 oz Golden Naked Oats (10.0 SRM)
6.4 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
5.3 oz Simpsons dark crystal malt (150.0 SRM)
0.60 oz Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.0 pkg Oud Bruin blend (Wyeast #3209-PC)

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts!

My personal experience with JP dregs is they take over... fast. This being a mainly lacto blend with Sacc I don't think it would hurt. Depending on the JP dregs you are using it may or may not have Brett. The Brett will need a longer time but it may work to your advantage if you bottle and some Brett is in there working.

Try it out!

As Gus_13 said, JP dregs are fast and tend to take over. Some of their beers are only in a wood for a couple weeks so they're a good choice for something you're trying to turn around fast. Assuming the gravity is stable in two months, which it very well may be, you'll be fine to bottle and it will continue to change in bottle.

Jp dregs should be a good combo with these new "fast" sour cultures that are out right now. They go to work very fast, and there is nothing subtle about them.

I still think these new speed freak cultures have something from a bottle of jolly p in them. We have known for years those bugs go crazy in short order, now we get several blends doing some serious work in 2 months....

Jp dregs should be a good combo with these new "fast" sour cultures that are out right now. They go to work very fast, and there is nothing subtle about them.

I still think these new speed freak cultures have something from a bottle of jolly p in them. We have known for years those bugs go crazy in short order, now we get several blends doing some serious work in 2 months....

I have to second this. JP dregs are monsters when it comes to souring. Had quite noticeable souring within two months.

I have to second this. JP dregs are monsters when it comes to souring. Had quite noticeable souring within two months.

Just a quick update. I did brew this and after 2 weeks, it is only slightly sour. It has fermented from 1.054 to 1.012. The only thing that concerns me is that the temperature of the room where it sits is probably 75 degrees. It may fluctuate a little warmer than that at times but knowing that 80-85 is optimal, how will this affect the beer? Will it turn out ok and continue to sour but simply take longer? Is mildly sour normal for 2 weeks?
I also removed the bung and swirrled the better bottle a few times to mix in a little O2 as recommended by wyeast. I did this at 2 weeks.

Any opinions on this?

I am using 3203 (De Bom) which I am guessing is Oud Bruin but with Brett. I assume the Lacto is Brevis in both. Anyway, mine was only slightly sour at 2 weeks, but now at 5 weeks (when I'm aerating for the first time by transferring to secondary, a little paranoid to do it in my attic closet) it is almost at the balance I want it to finish at as far as sourness, and it hasn't dropped gravity since the 2 week sample. I am guessing I'll be bottling at 8 weeks as they say is possible. So I think you're on the right track. I'd just keep checking every week or so. I already have (some of) the yeast cake from mine doing a Berliner and I'm excited to see how fast a second generation sours :).

I'm also planning on re-using the yeast cake. I'm not sure which recipe but might do the same Oud Bruin recipe but age on fruit. I know these yeasts are supposed to be ready in 8 weeks but would they also do well with an extended aging process?

I am using 3203 (De Bom) which I am guessing is Oud Bruin but with Brett. I assume the Lacto is Brevis in both.

I confirmed with Wyeast, the new 3203 de Bom uses brevis. At that rate I'll assume the oud bruin blend does too. Good to 15 IBU.

My Oud Bruin with De Bom was (is) too sour and I over-oaked it slightly. It's been in bottles a couple months and has less oak now but I have been blending with it in the glass because of how over-sour it is. So far tastes great with a year old barleywine, a 6 mo old 100% Brett CDA, an oatmeal stout and a few other beers I've tried to mix with it. Still don't love it straight. Funnily enough, it tastes pretty similar to the "New World Bruin" I tasted recently at Breakside here in Portland. It felt like vindication a little bit, because I also didn't love theirs :).

My Berliner on the second gen pitch is fantastic. I dry hopped it with Nelson/Galaxy and I think that helped the Brett really come alive. It's one of my favorite beers I've ever made. I am saving the rest of the cake for future Berliners and perhaps a Gose. For darker, more complex sours I will stick to the patient route.

Back