Other worthy SMaSH other than Orfy's MO+Fuggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did this one and it won first place (score 40.5) in the SODZ BBF for 8a, ordinary bitter:

Styrian Stunner
23 L
4.76 Kg Maris Otter 2-Row
51 Grams of Styrian Golding alpha 3.5 at 90 minutes
24 Grams of Styrian Golding alpha 3.5 at 15 minutes
11 Grams of Stryian Golding alpha 3.5 at 7 minutes
Irish Moss at 15 minutes

Yeast
2nd Generation of Wyeast 1469 Timothy Taylor

To revive a moribund thread, I'm finally getting around to doing a SMaSH beer. I'm planning on:

9.5lbs Marris Otter
.75oz Challenger @ 60min
.25oz Challenger @ 10min

Beersmith gives me an OG of 1.047 with 23IBU, so a near perfect balance between malt and bitterness (at least on paper).

The fun part is that I'll pitch the wort onto the yeast cake of the Vienna Lager that I've got in primary right now. So, classic British malt and hops in a crisp, light bodied lager. Should make for an interesting beer.

Any thoughts on how this might turn out?

Chad

View attachment ChallengerLager.bsm

I made 2 row and Cascade back on MLK weekend, and just got it bottled last week. Its not quite carbed enough yet, but from what I've tasted its going to be a very pleasant beer.

I did 10# 2-row and I think 3/4 oz of Cascade at 90, 60, 45, and 20 with about 1/2 ounce at flameout. Was going to dry hop some too, but I had a little taste and there didn't seem to be any need. The only thing was is that it turned out more hoppy than I was expecting but good - not the worst beer I've made by far. I'd make it again.

10 lbs Vienna + 1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min, 20 min and 5 min

this was one of the best beers i've ever tasted. once my fermentation cabinet is up and running, i'm going to try and make this beer two weeks apart under the same conditions for a consistency test.

:rockin:

Latest posts

Back