Other Half's All Together Beer - Recipe Attached

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Like what Sierra Nevada did with the Camp Fires the other year, Other Half is doing a similar thing with the current Covid-19 outbreak. They are calling it All Together Beer. They have the recipe, graphics and other material for this beer. I figured I would share this if home brewers were interested in brewing their version of the All Together beer like some did (including myself) when SN released the Resilience recipe.

I thought I would share this with everyone. Admins if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it. I'm excited to brew hopefully this weekend and I may brew this beer to get back in the game.

Cheers everyone!

Update - I found a scaled down version of the recipe from Craft Beer & Brewing. I figured this may help and reduce the work trying to figure out how to scale it down for some. Cheers!
Other-Half_All-Together_Recipe.jpg

Attachments

• Other-Half_All-Together_Recipe.pdf
    690.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I saw this recipe posted on reddit, but I did not realize it was a collaboration style recipe.

I kinda wonder how that will work out. Brewers should brew this beer to help out the hospitality professionals? While at the same time most local craft brewers are slashing their staff, cutting brewing output, trying to manage their excess capacity, and not sure what to do with all the ingredients they have on hand. In Virginia, bars and taprooms (at breweries and restaurants) are closed, it would be pretty hard to introduce a new beer for distribution to stores at this point, so pickup/curbside at the brewery would likely be the only outlet to sell this beer.

I was just about to post this. I presume home brewers could brew it, give it away to friends and legally be able to suggest a donation to a good cause.

I'm brewing this up for neighbors impacted by restaurant closures in our area. Also giving some to active nurses risking their lives and their family's lives every single day on the front lines.

Other Half posted a "proper" homebrew recipe on the Dropbox link if you would prefer to get this straight from the source for the conversion down to 5G batches.

I was waiting for the recipe to drop, I saw it on their Instagram a week or two ago (seems like I’ve lost the concept of time) thanks @pshankstar.

47E72939-71CD-43BC-A560-9E106C7774F8.jpeg
4D05972B-5900-4BF0-98EA-A249C2EB9332.jpeg
66038F7B-0F9F-45EF-856A-2135D68B5A7B.jpeg
Mashed in (BIAB) while the mash was sitting prepped the dry hops then the start of the boil. Now I wait for the boil to complete and clean up here and there. Although it’s windy as heck so I need to keep an eye on the burner to make sure it doesn’t blow out again.

Anybody brewed this with feedback on the recipe?

Here is the link for the 5 gal recipe:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/liskomy4...qcdJ-Ta/Recipe/ALL TOGETHER HOMEBREW.pdf?dl=0

I won’t know for a couple of weeks since I’ll be bottle conditioning this batch. Since our home brew club decided to brew this beer this past weekend we are going to bring it to our June club meeting or exchange bottles if we have to do the club meeting virtually. Plus it’s only a 3 gallon batch and I’ll be lazy using carb drops and fill off the fermenter.

I just kegged and bottled some yesterday. I'll know in a few days how it turned out. There wasn't much forward hop character in the sample I had, but with the amounts added for dry hop I wasn't expecting much. If the sample means anything it should be a good porch or lawn mowing beer.

View attachment 679099View attachment 679100Last week I used the dregs from OH Roc’s All Together beer to make a yeast starter. Brewed Sunday and decided to open the fermentation chamber and damn look at that krausen!!! It smells wonderful too!
Definitely looks like that typical 1318/London ale 3 krausen to me. Here’s my version of All Together:

DA2FFE3A-1CBC-4A17-9CB1-54020FC7FE28.jpeg

I used white labs coastal haze (never used it before) which is apparently a blend of sach trois, Conan, and London ale 3. I followed the grain bill and hop schedule closely and it’s definitely a really nice beer. Nothing crazy or overly amazing but that was never the intention when they released the recipe.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like that typical 1318/London ale 3 krausen to me. Here’s my version of All Together:

View attachment 679137
I used white labs coastal haze (never used it before) which is apparently a blend of sach trois, Conan, and London ale 3. I followed the grain bill and hop schedule closely and it’s definitely a really nice beer. Nothing crazy or overly amazing but that was never the intention when they released the recipe.
That’s a nice looking beer! You’re absolutely right about the beer. It’s pretty straight forward with mainly “staple” ingredients at least for a brewery.
That’s why our brew club decided to brew this beer last weekend instead of the IPA that AHA released. That one had all sorts of different ingredients that are not so easy to get.
I’ve had two versions of this beer so far. OH Roc and Noble Shepherds/Stumblin’ Monkey collab. Both were really good beers. I have two other local versions in the fridge I haven’t tried yet.
My version is different b/c I was out of 2-row and wanted to chip away at the Maris Otter I had left but other than that everything else is the same. Cheers!

I brewed this beer with some modifications to meet my system requirements a month ago. Kegged it day 10. Tasted it day 14... it had quite a bit of hop bite initially but that has settled out. Citrus and pine, a bit of dankness, overall a good beer:
View attachment 679147
Mmm that looks good too! I want to keg this beer but I’m feeling lazy since I need to bottle most of it. Man these beers are making me thirsty!

Mmm that looks good too! I want to keg this beer but I’m feeling lazy since I need to bottle most of it. Man these beers are making me thirsty!
To me, feeling lazy would be kegging not bottling lol

To me, feeling lazy would be kegging not bottling lol
I would normally agree with that but I have some carbonation drops and I’ll just fill off the spigot on the fermenter. Bottles are clean just need to be sanitized before filling then all I need to clean afterwards is the fermenter.
If I keg, then I have to clean the beer gun after filling the bottles and the keg and of course the fermenter too.
Since I have a fair amount of people to share it with it just seems easier to bottle the 3 gallons off the fermenter when it’s ready.

4F54646A-2740-4D2C-9C1C-AF73AAD9ED35.jpeg
5BDC0B81-DF2F-4049-A1A6-BAEB54795F17.jpeg
The gravity sample I took and tasted was excellent! Smelled really good too, even my wife and girls thought the same thing which normally they think all beer smells bad.
30 bottles done and conditioning. The two week mark will be next week but I may crack one open this weekend.

I brewed the recipe and followed it really closely (2.5 gallon batch) and kegged it 5 days ago — happy with the color and appearance but unfortunately its falling flat in terms of hoppy aroma and a bit of juiciness...

I did the full dry-hop, and even added an extra oz of hops in the keg just because.

I do use a hop filter cylinder when I dry hop in primary and a mesh bag in the keg (and use a floating dip tube) because I'm tired of clogging dip tubes with hops when transferring or serving. I wonder if this is why I'm lacking the hop aroma?

Perhaps my hops are past prime? My Cascade hops were the oldest, and was a 4-5 months old but stored in the freezer.

Do you think I can salvage this beer by dry hopping again in the keg with another charge of dry hops and pulling them after a few days?

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200817181549493_COVER.jpg

I brewed the recipe and followed it really closely (2.5 gallon batch) and kegged it 5 days ago — happy with the color and appearance but unfortunately its falling flat in terms of hoppy aroma and a bit of juiciness...

I did the full dry-hop, and even added an extra oz of hops in the keg just because.

I do use a hop filter cylinder when I dry hop in primary and a mesh bag in the keg (and use a floating dip tube) because I'm tired of clogging dip tubes with hops when transferring or serving. I wonder if this is why I'm lacking the hop aroma?

Perhaps my hops are past prime? My Cascade hops were the oldest, and was a 4-5 months old but stored in the freezer.

Do you think I can salvage this beer by dry hopping again in the keg with another charge of dry hops and pulling them after a few days?
I too have used the mesh cylinders to dry hop but found if I put anything more than 3oz of pellets I feel the cylinder is packed full and some of the hop oils cant be extracted. Maybe it is the problem but I can’t say for sure. I used the @wilserbrewer bags/hop socks to dry hop this beer b/c I feel the hops can have better contact with the room compared to the cylinders. When I have a large dry hop addition that’s what I use instead of the cylinders or even a paint strainer bags in a pinch (when all my other Wilser hop socks are being used).
I would say another round of dry hoping in the keg wouldn’t hurt.
Also, the Citra hops I have are from 2014 vacuumed sealed in my chest freezer without any ill effects.
Good luck and cheers!

That's a pretty good point on the mesh cylinders, even though it held 5oz of hops just fine, I noticed it was quite packed after emptying the primary and kegging.

Maybe I'll opt for the mesh bags next time.

Yes I think I'll add another oz or two of dry hops in the keg in a mesh bag and see how it turns out by the weekend

Cheers!

Now that I think of it, I had a beer a long time ago that needed some extra hop punch. So I dropped one of those cylinders in the keg with 2oz of hops, purged with CO2 and let it sit overnight before pulling the first pint. It helped and I left it in there till the keg kicked b/c I didn't want to open it again. No side affects.

These cylinders are pretty deceptive b/c you can put so many ounces of hop pellets in them but once they expand it turns into a log.

Hello all, I've been away from homebrewing for about 8 years and decided to jump back in with this recipe above. Had some questions before I begin and was hoping someone could shed some light... My biggest concern is the first hop edition. "Columbus to 10 IBUs". 1) which user friendly brew program/online calculator can you recommend that will tell me what volume of hops to add to equal 10 IBUs for a 5 gallon batch of homebrew? Ive come up with 0.2 ounces of columbus (AA 15%) but that seems incredibly low considering its the only hop addition until whirlpool. 2) anyone else concerned that this recipe will lack bitterness with only one boil addition? 3) ive purchased White labs WLP013 London Ale yeast to get started but the consensus seems to be that the WYeast 1318 London III should be the go-to for this style of beer. Am I over thinking this one?

All help would be much appreciated! Cheers!

Hello all, I've been away from homebrewing for about 8 years and decided to jump back in with this recipe above. Had some questions before I begin and was hoping someone could shed some light... My biggest concern is the first hop edition. "Columbus to 10 IBUs". 1) which user friendly brew program/online calculator can you recommend that will tell me what volume of hops to add to equal 10 IBUs for a 5 gallon batch of homebrew? Ive come up with 0.2 ounces of columbus (AA 15%) but that seems incredibly low considering its the only hop addition until whirlpool. 2) anyone else concerned that this recipe will lack bitterness with only one boil addition? 3) ive purchased White labs WLP013 London Ale yeast to get started but the consensus seems to be that the WYeast 1318 London III should be the go-to for this style of beer. Am I over thinking this one?

All help would be much appreciated! Cheers!
In general NEIPA’s aren’t bitter at all. They’re all about maximum hop flavor and aroma.

As far as online calculators, I use Brewers Friend. There’s two versions, a free App, and a website. The app is a little more basic but still has a lot of features, while the website has more features and options but requires a subscription to unlock all of them. The free app works pretty good for most things. It’s what I use most.

I ran .2 ounces at AA15 for 60 minutes through a generic recipe on the BF app, and It came up with 11.3 IBU’s.

Last edited:
I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch and used 0.10 oz so 0.2 oz sounds right for a 5 gallon batch at 60mins

I used to use Brewtoad for my recipe calculations (sadly they're no more) but I now use MIBrew - Login

After adding a second round of dry hops in the keg I got much better aroma. Still not sure what it came down to but I suspect it was the overloading of the hop cylinder resulting it underextraction of aroma during the initial dry hop.

I've also got my hands on a 4pk of Other Half's DDH batch of All Together and it's clear that theirs (left) is far more hazier than the one I brewed (right). I usually can get a more opaque haze when I add malted oats, but the recipe only calls for flaked oats. Next time, I think I'll go with malted oats instead.

Otherwise, appearance wise quite similar but aroma profiles are of course going to be different, with OH's being a lot more brighter citrus, while the one I brewed has a bit more of a tropical dank notes perhaps due to using more Cascade than Citra. Also, as a homebrewer we just dont get access to the same hops. Otherwise it's definitely a great recipe! I've shared growlers of it with neighbors and friends, and would brew it again!

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200822152606214_COVER~2.jpg

Back