Oster 5.0 on Sale at Best Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
I checked the Best Buy website this morning and saw that the Oster 5.0 cubic foot refrigerator is on sale for $188.99. The regular price is $209.99. I also noticed that the Sanyo 4912 is no longer available for purchase on the Best Buy site, so it appears that the Oster is here to stay.

I hope to pick up one of these this weekend so I can start my kegerator project.:ban:

there has been one who claimed thier oster burned up in 6 weeks. load it before converting and make sure it works before converting. once done no going back for repair under warentee.

I'm wary of any "Oster" product due to an extremely crappy rice cooker I received as a wedding gift.

I've read the review about the person whose compressor died after 6 weeks but it gets good reviews at Cnet. I'm on my way to best buy to pick one up tonight after getting burned by some jack@ass on craigslist who was selling me his 4912. Testing it out before converting is a good idea and I'll make sure to do that.

there has been one who claimed thier oster burned up in 6 weeks. load it before converting and make sure it works before converting. once done no going back for repair under warentee.

A little secret about Oster, they aren't going to make you send in a refrigerator for warranty repair, they'll ask you to cut the power cord off the unit and send that to them, then they'll send you a replacement unit (leaving disposal of the original refrigerator up to you.)

A little secret about Oster, they aren't going to make you send in a refrigerator for warranty repair, they'll ask you to cut the power cord off the unit and send that to them, then they'll send you a replacement unit (leaving disposal of the original refrigerator up to you.)

wow. i was not aware of this. good to know they would do that

craigslist! There are a boatload of fridges on CL every day.
Yes, there are lots of fridges on CL. I have been looking for several weeks and never seem to find one in my area that will suffice, though. I don't have room in my apartment for a full-size fridge, and most of the compact fridges I come across on CL are either the 1.7 cubic foot size, or larger ones ( 4 to 5 cubic feet) with freezer compartments. I have yet to see a 4912 or similar model on my local craigslist.

Yes, there are lots of fridges on CL. I have been looking for several weeks and never seem to find one in my area that will suffice, though. I don't have room in my apartment for a full-size fridge, and most of the compact fridges I come across on CL are either the 1.7 cubic foot size, or larger ones ( 4 to 5 cubic feet) with freezer compartments. I have yet to see a 4912 or similar model on my local craigslist.

I'm in the same boat. I want something that is small and will look nice in the living room or kitchen. When I get more room then I'll get the chest freezer for the basement or garage. I've been searching CL for months looking for a dorm fridge that will work. When I finally found a 4912 and got screwed on it I decided to just bite the bullet and go for the Oster 5.0. It requires only a slight mod to the thermostat controller to raise it up inside the refrigerator so a corny can fit on the right side.

I just bought the Oster last week and so far, I love it. The warranty is one year, so I figure it has one year of normal bottle/yeast/hop cooling duty before donning a new set of taps. The quality seems to be pretty good. Considering it is made in China, I didn't expect perfection, so all in all I am pleased. Not on the lowest setting had the inside in the low 30's, so it will probably freeze if you wanted it to. And that is with it fighting the high ambient temps in my garage, so in a climate-controlled room would probably be even better.

Yep, it happened to me. I won't ever buy another Oster product...:mad::mad::mad:

Does anyone know if the Oster will fit a pair of commercial 1/6 kegs? I'm looking to do a dual tap conversion, but I haven't gotten into brewing my own yet. From the pics I've seen, two corneys fit nicely, but commercial kegs are slightly bigger, right? Don't want to go through the conversion only to find that the two kegs won't fit.

Hey, I'm quoting myself here!

Just a word of warning to anyone thinking of buying an Oster product. The parent company of Oster is currently involved in an FBI, IRS, Postal Inspection investigation over $2+billion in fraud (search for recent stories about Petters Company Inc. if you want more information) and there is a lot of talk about most if not all of the companies owned by the parent company going under because of this.

If you want to buy one of their products, that's fine, just don't assume that your warranty will be good for very long.

I do not think a warranty is valid when you convert it to a kegerator.

As I stated earlier, the last time I checked, they do not actually examine the broken refrigerator, they just ask you to cut off the power cord and send it to them at which point they send you a replacement refrigerator. It is possible that they have changed this practice though.

2 for the price of one if I wasn't so damn honest.... looking for the lightning bolt

I checked the Best Buy website this morning and saw that the Oster 5.0 cubic foot refrigerator is on sale for $188.99. The regular price is $209.99. I also noticed that the Sanyo 4912 is no longer available for purchase on the Best Buy site, so it appears that the Oster is here to stay.

I hope to pick up one of these this weekend so I can start my kegerator project.:ban:

Dang it - I just bought mine about 2 weeks ago at full price. Grrrr. Oh well, at least my kegerator project will be underway soon. We wanted to give it a couple weeks to make sure there weren't any issues with it. Would have been fun explaining to someone at Best Buy why there was a big hole in the top of the fridge we were trying to return. :)

Bring your reciept back. They have a 30 day price match! :) (used to work there)

The lower price has to be in effect for a price match. And if you notice this thread was started over a month ago and from what I can tell it is now regular price.

Back