Organic hop garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
I've been growing my hops the organic way with really good results so far, so I thought we could share and exchange our experiences and learn a little bit from one another here.

These are my hops, 6 cascades and 1 centennial:
30t75ly.jpg

This is my composter, where I throw my grass clippings, used grains and dry leaves in the fall. I use the compost for fertilising the hop garden, with really amazing results so far:
2namkpk.jpg

The funny part is that it is much easier and cheaper to fertilize your garden this way rather then the "store bought" way. Imagine how much faster it is to just throw your grass clippings here as opposed to try to bag them and then remember to put them out on the garbage day.

For fertilizing I use compost and "compost tea", so basically I take some compost from the bottom of the pile, put it in a 5 gal bucket with water, leave it over night and the next day I water my hops with it. It's that simple. And it works like if you were using the store-bought Miracle Grow every day.
For pest control I use soap and water, although I never had a big problem with pests so far (knock on wood).

your hops look fantastic! aside from the obvious use of having fresh hops on hand for your brews, it looks so aesthetically pleasing. most hop gardens are fully functional, but look a little out of place in the backyard.

how much would you say you yield per year in terms of pounds of dried hops?

What's your solution for bugs? I compost. I have companion plants I have bugs. I need to spray to combat them and then loose the 'organic' label. Curious if you have advice on this point.

Whenever you compost...whether it is in a container, or used as mulch...remember that the composting process [aka: rot or decay] uses up nitrogen. Several times over the growing season, I simply sprinkle a couple of handfuls of 10-10-10 or other vegetable garden fertilizer into my compost bin.

My family and I have had a small, sealed container...about 1.5 gallon size...on the kitchen counter for years. We put our apple cores, banana peels, coffee grounds [filter included], and any other vegetable/fruit matter into the container [like spent grains and used hops]. When it's full, I take it out to the compost bin and dump it in.

And I haven't thrown out or gotten rid of a blade of grass or a dried leaf in over 40 years. It ALL goes into the compost bin or onto the garden.

glenn514:mug:

I agree with what glen514 says, but when you 10/10/10, you once again loose that "organic" status, don't you?

I also add fertilizer to my hops, which I thought cause me to loose the bragging rights of 'organic'.

My understanding is that adding yeast slurry into the compost tea increases nitrogen, am I right?

In order to keep the hops organic...and anything else, for that matter...there IS a fertilizer that is TOTALLY organic, and available throughout much of the US. It is called "Milorganite" and is manufactured by the Milwaukee [Wisconsin] Sewage District. It is composed of dried, deodorized sewage sludge. The composition is 5-2-0. If Milorganite is available near you, it may be worth a try.

In order to keep the hops organic...and anything else, for that matter...there IS a fertilizer that is TOTALLY organic, and available throughout much of the US. It is called "Milorganite" and is manufactured by the Milwaukee [Wisconsin] Sewage District. It is composed of dried, deodorized sewage sludge. The composition is 5-2-0. If Milorganite is available near you, it may be worth a try.

Thanks! My family lives in Milwaukee. I'll see if I can get it from 'the source'.

Google "Milorganite." Then, on Milorganite's home page, go to "store finder." Enter your zip code, and...presto...the wonder of modern electrons! If your Aurora is in Illinois, you can find Milorganite at Lowe's, Farm and Fleet [or as native Wisconsinites call it: Farm and Barn] and several other stores.

Deoderized sewage sludge? Haha...that sounds kind of awful...I think I'd rather lose the organic label xP

Actually, Bosox, I haven't used the product in years, but I vividly remember my Father fertilizing the lawn AND the vegetable garden with Milorganite when I was a child. I found the aroma to be quite pleasant and very tolerable, and completely NOT like its source.

Originally, as I understand, the Milwaukee sewage district began to sell the product to golf courses. They were looking for an all-around fertilizer and soil enhancement, and this stuff was readily available. I think the entire history of it is on the Milorganite website.:mug:

Kinda like the hippy saying: Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Did you guys noticed how well the hops respond to compost tea? It's just amazing. There is a lot of talk on these forums about hop leaves getting gray edges or yellow spots. I just poor some compost tea around the plant and the leaves are bright green within days. I guess it must be similar to liquid fertiliser like Miracle Grow, only it's free so you can use a lot more of it :D

Actually, Bosox, I haven't used the product in years, but I vividly remember my Father fertilizing the lawn AND the vegetable garden with Milorganite when I was a child. I found the aroma to be quite pleasant and very tolerable, and completely NOT like its source.

Originally, as I understand, the Milwaukee sewage district began to sell the product to golf courses. They were looking for an all-around fertilizer and soil enhancement, and this stuff was readily available. I think the entire history of it is on the Milorganite website.:mug:

Kinda like the hippy saying: Don't knock it until you've tried it!

I agree, the source of something has little to do with the finished product. For example, if you are using isinglass for your brew in fact you are using fish guts, or if you use gelatin - it's made out of pig hoofs.

for organic you are not allowed to use anything made from human waste. I use Flyin-Hi N 11-0-0 ,Zinc sulfate,solubar (B),K.Also Dram fish

there is a prodout called pyganic (not sure about spelling)Its made from marigolds.It is a pretty broad range pest killer and organic

Hey, Hopfarmer...

If you use animal waste...aka cow manure...can you still call your "crop" organic?

Cow is Ok,any animal is ok ,If you are going to apply 90 before harvest it must be composted .I use composted chicken and apply both fall and spring Cheers

Marigolds was easier to spell,beer started a little early today.Had fun w the tractor one extension cord to a motor home and one hose got chopped up in the Rhino.The campsite and fire pit area looks good though.They do not make good mulch !! Cheers Glen

Marigolds was easier to spell,beer started a little early today.Had fun w the tractor one extension cord to a motor home and one hose got chopped up in the Rhino.The campsite and fire pit area looks good though.They do not make good mulch !! Cheers Glen

To funny. I would have liked to started earlier but we went to Hollister today and NO drinking and riding for me.
P.S. Gotta love spell check. :)

Hey Hopfarmer...

I'm trying to bend my brain around this but I'm having a tough time: you can use composted animal waste...aka cow manure and/or horse manure and/or chicken s**t, and the "crop" remains organic. You introduce a product like Milorganite...which is mostly human waste...into the soil, and you immediately remove the organic label. How come?

NOP (National Organic Program Rules).I think they are afraid of pathogens.Not to mention the posibility of antibiotics or residue of drugs we take.In NZ they allow sheep to graze the Hop yards and they are Organic.I cannot put any livestock in my yards or orchards for either 90 or 120 days before harvest.I could see this for lettuce if u were putting chickens in.But sheep do not climb trees and the bottom 4' of a hop bine needs to be stripped anyway.Sheep in my orchards or hop yards now would save a lot of mowing and weeding.people are working to change this part.the human waste will never be changed. CCOF and NOP has this stuff on their site.Gotto make potato salad or I would find it.Cheers Glen

I think that there are also a lot of additives in that product (ferric chloride, coagulants, etc.) and that probably doesn't help with an "organic" label.

Got it, guys! And thanks, I learned something in the process...but I still like Milorganite in the lawn and gardens.

Back