Ordinary Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gedeao

Reaction score
Hello,
Im here to ask you what you think of this recipe for 20L:

3Kg Pale Ale
300g Special B
300g Carapils
11g Target FWH
20g EKG 20 min
20g EKG 10 min
20g EKG 1 min
40G EKG DH
S-04 fermentis

OG : 1,036; 30,7 IBU; 25,4 EBC; 3,6% ABV

What do you think?
thank you guys :tank:

Most regular bitters don't have a dry hop, at least that I know of. otherwise I think it is fine and you can dry hop it but your tending to leave the style. Most bitters would have the fwh and a 20 or a 10 minute addition and leave it at that. :mug:

Thank you,
So, i will do not dh and remove 1min add
do you think it is style's hops?

Hello,
Im here to ask you what you think of this recipe for 20L:

3Kg Pale Ale
300g Special B
300g Carapils
11g Target FWH
20g EKG 20 min
20g EKG 10 min
20g EKG 1 min
40G EKG DH
S-04 fermentis

OG : 1,036; 30,7 IBU; 25,4 EBC; 3,6% ABV

What do you think?
thank you guys :tank:

Have you used Special B before? It's not a typical ingredient in a bitter especially at the 8% rate in your recipe. Special B is great stuff but it is fairly aggressive and at the very dark end of the scale of crystal malts. IMO the 8% Special B here is going to make the bitter too dark as well as have pretty strong flavors of dark toffee and dried fruit. My suggestion here would be to use a more traditional crystal malt (45-75L; 120-200 EB C) at an approximate rate of 5%. Then if you want some of the flavor touches of Special B use about 1%. You can also back the Carapils down to 3-5% instead of 8%. Keep the overall gristbill weight by adding more pale malt.

While the IBU numbers are within the range for the style, a ratio of 3:4 in terms of IBU:OG will probably deliver the best balance of flavor. I'd ease off some on the hops to get the IBU somewhere in the 25-28 range. Dryhopping is OK if you like but for 20L of beer half of your 40g amount should be more than enough. :mug:

+1 to subbing the Special B for a bit less of something more mid-range, preferably Brittish in origin.

Dryhopping is fine, a lot of bitters are dry hopped.

I would also change/reduce the special b and definitely reduce the carapils. I'd increase the bittering slightly although that's personal preference, as I prefer a well bittered bitter like JHB etc. But if you do keep a lot of caramel character then I'd be tempted to reduce it a bit as assertive bitterness and a strong caramel character tends to jar for me in a beer like that

Thank you guys,
What do you think now?
The BU:GU is close than the style, 0,832 and the style is 0,833

ordinary.jpg

I'd dial crystal down to 0.25 (you have SB there too). 20g is an appropriate level of dry hop for a typical bitter.

Edit: btw, I'd find it a hint on the strong side for ordinary bitter, maybe drop the malts a little bit (depending on efficiency). An OG of around 1.036-1.038 is quite typical. 32 IBU is quite right, but I'd split the IBU of the additions differently (about 60-80% of the bitterness coming from a bittering addition, and then the rest from an addition at 15 or 20 minutes). If you add too many hops late you get hop flavour rather than bitterness (you want a good snap of bitterness there but no aggressive hop flavour). You get some aroma back by dry hopping.

Back