Orange Peel advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giligson

Reaction score
I would like to consider doing an all grain american ale with orange peel.
I have no experience using this ingredient and have a good source for dried peel or "sweet" dried peel.

has anyoned done an ale with a primarily orange flavour (not orange and coriander and not orange and something else - just, you know, 2row malt, crystal malt, hops and orange peel)

How much orange peel should one expect to use in a 5 gal batch?

I used a tad of orange peel in my summer ale. I used the zest of one orange added five minutes before flame out. I don't remember which kind it was, but it was a pretty subtle contribution.

I've also heard that you may want to consider upgrading to an organic orange whenever you're using zest.

I picked up some dry orange peel in the spice isle at the grocery store. I'm trying to figure out when to add it and how much, but I'm leaning toward the last 5 minutes or flameout. I'm doing a honey hefe tonight.

A friend at work did a beer much like this and it came out with a strange, grapey flavor. We attribute it to the honey he used (orange blossom) and possibly his g/f getting a little too zealous when zesting; possibly getting into the pith.

Just make sure you are only zesting off the orange part. Don't get into the white.

Also, add it in the last 5 mins of the boil. That seems to be a good time.

somewhere b/w 1/2 and 1 ounce of dried peel seems to be the most common addition to a 5 gallon batch. Usually boiled for the last 3-5 minutes. I added a 1 oz of dried sweet peel to my Blue moon clone last weekend, next time I may just zest a few oranges and see how that works out?

I searched...seems there is no right or wrong way to skin this cat.

Just make sure you are only zesting off the orange part. Don't get into the white.

What I have been doing is saving the orange zest from the oranges I eat.

I start by taking a razor blade and scoring the orange before peeling it so the skin comes off in strips. I then lay the strip flat on a cutting board and take the razor blade and carefully trim off the white pith on the strips like you would fillet a fish which leaves only the zest behind.

I leave the zest strips to dry out for 3-4 days. Once they are dried out, you can break them up into smaller pieces and grind them with a coffee grinder to make fine pieces of orange zest.

I have made a blue moon clone and a real nice Christmas ale that have turned out excellent using my own dried orange peels.

I have also harvested 4-5 oz of grapefruit zest using the same method. I might try to add to an IPA sometime.

Back