American Wheat Beer Orange American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Sounds like a great beer. I want to try it this weekend.
Just one question are you really getting such a high attenuation on this?
OG 1.055 to FG 1.010?
With such a high (154) mash temperature I would expect there to be a lot of unfermentable sugars developing or is the S-05 really that efficient with this temperature?

I have not made this beer. I make something close to this. I mash is at 152.

I have not made this beer. I make something close to this. I mash is at 152.

Thanks. I think I might aim for a few degrees lower too.
I can't imagine that the US-05 would have an atttenuation of 81% at 154F but then again I have never brewed anything with it yet so maybe it's real monster :rockin: :D

So I brewed this three weeks ago and got an O.G. of 1.042 instead of 1.052. It was my first time mashing in a cooler so I over-trusted Beersmith and ended up using way too much sparge water. Anyway it fermented out to 1.006 an I bottled it with normal table sugar as priming sugar. I used the same amount per liter and same method as my previous beers. However after 1 week in the bottle there is still very little CO2; normaly at this stage I have a lot of gas. Has anyone else bottle conditioned this with normal sugar? Is it normally this slow at getting carbonised? I'm going to wait another week (or two) to see if it improves but it would be nice to know what is typical for this beer.

Thanks.

I brewed this recipe at SWMBO's request as a "Baby Beer." Until my son was born, nobody would get a drop of it until she tried it. I made a few minor substitutions due to ingredient availability, but it turned out incredibly. I can confidently say it's one of the best beers I've made yet. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Andy

Used this recipe and did it with fresh orange zest from navel oranges and .5 oz of coriander. Turned out AWESOME!!! will be doing this again real soon! everyone loved it!

I brewed this two days ago. I've only done a few AG batches but I always just use 5gal mash 3gal sparge. Seems to work fine so far. I had an OG of 1.042 and two I thieved it and got 1.026 I plan on using a secondary to help clear it up. To keep things simple I've been racking after 14 days. I know there's mixed feelings about if or when to rack. I feel like I may be able to rack sooner with some beers. Any insight?

This appears to be very close to what I have been searching for to brew next. So is the primary difference between an American wheat and a German wheat the yeast? I see that you are using US-05 rather than a yeast designed specifically for wheat beers. Otherwise the recipe uses German grains and Germain hops, so I'm thinking that's it.

Planning on pitching Wyeast 1276 American Ale II. Does anyone advise against this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This appears to be very close to what I have been searching for to brew next. So is the primary difference between an American wheat and a German wheat the yeast? I see that you are using US-05 rather than a yeast designed specifically for wheat beers. Otherwise the recipe uses German grains and Germain hops, so I'm thinking that's it.

Correct. Using a German wheat yeast (Like WLP300) will impart a drastically different flavor profile. This recipe is meant to be very clean, crisp and a hint of citrus on the tongue.

Brewed this for a friend's wedding gift, and so far it is great. I used about 2.5 oz of orange zest and a pinch of coriander that I had leftover.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395519855.491849.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I love this recipe and have been making it for more than 2 years now.
I just bottled a Citra WIPA variation of this. Hopefully it turns out. :ban:

Hoping to pick up ingredients today and brew tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm hoping LHBS has Denny's Favorite, since I would like to use it in a couple other brews, a porter and a stout, but if not I'll have to settle on either S-05 or WLP001 just depends on their stock.

I think someone else asked this but didn't get an answer, has anybody tried using dried orange peel from brew shop, or other market? I can easily get oranges but if you get the same flavor from dried it'll be worth not having to zest 4 - 6 oranges.

I think someone else asked this but didn't get an answer, has anybody tried using dried orange peel from brew shop, or other market? I can easily get oranges but if you get the same flavor from dried it'll be worth not having to zest 4 - 6 oranges.

I used 2 oz of dried sweet orange peel from the shop and it turned out perfectly. Not too subtle and not overpowering at all. You'll love this final product regardless of which way you go!

Picked everything up just a bit ago, and decided to gobwith 2oz of dried sweet orange peel. Had to sub Tettnang due to stock.
Store had Denny Favorite in stock so I'm going to pitch right from the smack pack then save some of the yeast after fermentation for the porters and stouts waiting on my list.
I also grabbed a few oz of Amarillo hops since they had them in stock. Might use one at 5 or 10 min any thoughts on this to help bring out more citrus. I want the orange to be pretty prominent in this one. Otherwise no plans for the Amarillo, but t won't be hard to find something to throw them in.

Hey everybody... A little but off subject but i just bottled my orange vanilla wheat.. its been 3 days amd my bottles already have an unusually thick layer of sediment .. should i be worried about gushers?

Brewed today. I modified the 2row amount for my efficiency and to lower the ABV. I wanted to end with a 4% beer so I figured to hit 1.040 and got exactly that, now hopefully it goes down to 1.010 which will give 3.95%.
I decided to skip the Amarillo for now. If the orange taste isn't where I want in 2 weeks I'm going to dry hop with it for a few days and see if that helps.

I didn't get any orange in the smell after boiling, has anybody else noticed this or have you all smelled the orange when transferring to your fermenters?

Brewed today. I modified the 2row amount for my efficiency and to lower the ABV. I wanted to end with a 4% beer so I figured to hit 1.040 and got exactly that, now hopefully it goes down to 1.010 which will give 3.95%.
I decided to skip the Amarillo for now. If the orange taste isn't where I want in 2 weeks I'm going to dry hop with it for a few days and see if that helps.

I didn't get any orange in the smell after boiling, has anybody else noticed this or have you all smelled the orange when transferring to your fermenters?

I've always smelled some orange when transferring. Not a ton though. I noticed it more during fermentation.

I think that you made the right call with waiting for the Amarillo. I've made a couple variations of this recipe, and I've found that late hop additions tend to mask the orange too much.

Hey everybody... A little but off subject but i just bottled my orange vanilla wheat.. its been 3 days amd my bottles already have an unusually thick layer of sediment .. should i be worried about gushers?

Sediment isn't indicative of gushers. It really depends on when you bottled. Did you make sure you had a couple steady gravity readings before you bottled? Depending on the yeast you used, you could of just racked more trub to the bottling bucket or there was more yeast in suspension when you bottled.

Sediment isn't indicative of gushers. It really depends on when you bottled. Did you make sure you had a couple steady gravity readings before you bottled? Depending on the yeast you used, you could of just racked more trub to the bottling bucket or there was more yeast in suspension when you bottled.

Yeh the gravity was steady. Maybe i shook it up a little before i siphoned it over

Checked on this a couple days ago, about 48 hours after pitching the yeast and there were no signs of fermentation, I was a little worried. Checked this AM and there's some krausen on time so looks like she's moving finally. After the first check I started looking into WY1450, Denny's Favorite, and apparently this strain can take a long time to get through it's regenerating phase, which would explain why at 48 hours there weren't any signs of it kicking off. I ferment in white buckets, so I had to open it to see this, and while I had it opened I checked to see if there was any orange smell present. Unfortunately I didn't really pick up any orange, more "yeast" smell than anything so maybe the orange will come through once fermentation settles a little bit. Only other thought I have on the orange is that maybe the dry peel I got was older than what's ideal. Since I want to use this yeast for some other beers I may just zest 2 -4 oranges and transfer to a secondary on top of the orange zest if it doesn't come through.

It appears that Denny's can be slow to completely ferment out, but how long have most of you let this go for? I know some have called it finished in around a week to two, with this strain I don't see that happening and I'm ok with it since this is to be more of a late spring/summer brew for me. Looking to bottle more towards the end of the month, give it 2 -3 weeks in the bottle, then enjoy.

I kegged my third (fourth?) batch today. Rocked it back and forth for 15min, then let it sit for an hour in the keezer.

Tasted awesome! Three ounces of sweet orange is much better than two.

I plan on brewing this tomorrow. My wife wants a tasty summer beer so I'm hoping this is what she's looking for...lol. She is my best customer! Planning on following the recipe exactly and using the full 3oz of sweet orange peel! Very excited about this brew.......Cheers

Tim

So I just finished brewing this beer. My numbers came out spot on! I had 81% mash efficiency and my SG was 1.052. The only issue I had was that my LHBS only had whole leaf hops instead of pellets. This was the first time I have ever used whole leaf hops and never took into account how much liquid absorption they took up!! I was about 0.25 gallons less than what I wanted to have. Lesson learned. I'm sure BeerSmith would have told me to increase my liquid had I changed it to whole leaf instead of pellets. Otherwise, this brew session was a success! I will report back once I'm able to sample it in about a week. Brew on!

Tim

Brewed this today, smelled great, looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I subbed the 30 min addition with 0.5 oz cascade and another 0.5 oz at 5 minutes along with the orange zest.

checked the final gravity after 17 days in primary and hit 1.010 on the dot. gonna bottle in the next day or two.

Just brewed this with 1450. Gonna dry hop with some Citra and hopefully will get a really good citrus aroma out of this. Thanks for the recipe!

I brewer this up about three weeks ago. SG was 1.048-1.049 my own mistake got too much water in the sparge and not enough on boil off. Checked gravity today was down to 1.009-1.010. I used WYEAST 1010. Cold crashing as we speak and kegging on Wednesday. Going to let it condition some in the keg and carb at 12 PSI for about a week.

Sample tasted great and can't wait to see how this turns out!

Cheers!

just tried some of my batch after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning. blech! barely resembles beer and has no orange aroma. i'll give it another week in the bottle and see if it improves.

Just mashed in on this recipe, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks for the recipe Tony!

Oh yeah instead of orange I'm subbing grapefruit and lemon peel, we shall see :)

this recipe was a bust for me, all my fault though, think the fermentation temperature got too high

thanks for the recipe OP! I'll try it again once I figure out what i'm doing

This beer is great! Thanks to the OP for posting! Bringing a growler to the family BBQ this weekend should be a nice addition and new tradition!

:mug:

First time trying to brew beer. Did a BIAB method and ended up with an OG of 1.038. My boil off rate was way below what it should have been which is where the problem seems to be. Oh well, we'll see how a session wheat tastes in a few weeks, lol.

Update: 3 days have passed and I didn't notice any airlock activity at all. I was a little worried so I took a gravity sample and it's at 1.010 (about 3.6% right now). I'll be happy if it drops a couple more points to get me around 4%. I'm trying the sample and it's actually not that harsh or bitter at such a young age. The orange zest definitely is the strongest taste but you get a nice hit of the hops on the nose.

I'm going to call my version 'Reap what you S.O.W. (Session Orange Wheat)' since my OG was so low.

Has anyone Brewer this with actual peel instead of zesting the peel? I was thinking about cutting the outer part of the peel off with a knife leaving behind the bitter white part.

Can the peel/zest be added to the boil in a bag like hops?

Back