Options for kegging and serving an English Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to brew a Best Bitter tomorrow. I have a three tap kegerator but the serving temp is set rather low and I don't want to 1) serve my bitter that cold or wait for my other kegs to finish just to be able to set a higher temp (looking to serve the bitter around 50) and 2) don't want to carb it up all that much either. I'm NOT looking to serve the beer quickly so I'm not really looking to do anything like using a keg on its side and serving with a breather.

So... I'm thinking of getting something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AYO4QYM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Then get some empty 5L kegs to condition and serve the beer from.

Anyone done anything similar or have any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in same situation as you. I have single regulator and one temp which equates to 2.4 vols. I do a vigorous pour and either let it sit for a while or put the glass in warm water. Not ideal but I generally only have one english beer in a four tap kegerator.

Stick a Fermwrap or equivalent on your Bitter keg and set it to 50F? Should also drop the carbonation down to whatever equilibrium is at that pressure, which will be less than the others.

Stick a Fermwrap or equivalent on your Bitter keg and set it to 50F? Should also drop the carbonation down to whatever equilibrium is at that pressure, which will be less than the others.

I like that idea... I'd be a little concerned with the kegerator having to work overtime to keep the other kegs cold but this might be something to investigate.

I always set up kegerators to have a T connector with a QD off of the gas line outside of the fridge. I use this for various things like using a beer gun, etc. One use would be to put your keg outside of the kegerator depending on ambient temperature and just running a pony tap off of it.

Back