Options for cooling keg or serving cold from keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duganderson

Reaction score
I've considered getting a keg set-up for making soda. I don't really want to use a standard size refrigerator to keep the keg cool.

What are options to cool the keg or serve the contents cold? I'm looking for a set up that is easy to use, inexpensive and does not take up a lot of space.

Also, how much hassle and time does it take to clean and sanitize the keg after use?

Thanks, Doug

Cleaning and sanitizing is pretty quick and easy. See http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Soda-Kegs-Maint as well as the sticky threads in the bottling/kegging forum.
Takes about an hour, most of it just wait time. Just don't let things gunk up or grow after the keg is finished with the last serving and you should be fine.

As for cooling. I'm looking at options there too. It seems that the method I'm looking to use is to use a fair sized mini fridge though some people have talked about certain types of heat exchangers to cool the liquid as it goes through the tubes, but I don't remember how much that costs.

Oh, and as for sanitizer, I hear starsan works great and since it lasts, just have extra kegs on hand so you can transfer the sanitizer from one keg to the other, and just let the sanitizer sit in the cleaned second keg for a while.

Latest posts

Back