Optimal Cooler size for a MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
I am setting out tomorrow to build the latest addition to our brewery - a MLT

I have been reading all weekend to learn about them and the process of using them to help me understand them.

I do some basic plumbing with my job so I am confident I can put the pieces together without much fuss.

My only question is what size cooler would you consider optimal for 10gal batches?

As I understand it (from reading never having actually done it) a recipe will only call for say 5-6 gals for strike water - then the rest for sparge, correct? So a 10 gallon cooler should be plenty.

I hate buying/building something only to immediately want to upgrade it later, so if I should get a 15 gal cooler fine so be it, but with our first baby on the way the wife is already eying any space in the house (damn nesting!) so I would like to keep storage to a minimum.

thanks guys

I've had to temporarily convert a camping cooler for some big beers for 10 gal batches, since I usually use a 10 gal cooler.

Deffinately go bigger, but you won't need too much extra.

I've had to temporarily convert a camping cooler for some big beers for 10 gal batches, since I usually use a 10 gal cooler.

Deffinately go bigger, but you won't need too much extra.

My last brew was My Full Owl which came in at 1.058(not big) and I was within 1" of the top with a 48qt

I've been thinking the same thing, but I looked at some other threads and decided I am getting the 70qt Coleman Xtreme. It's $30 from Walmart.. seems like a decent price and the insulation on them is good from what I hear.

Tried to buy it in store and it was $37.88.. they wouldn't give me $30, even though I can buy online and have it shipped TO THE STORE for free. Gah. Oh well I can wait to save $7.88. :)

For me and my brewing, a cooler 1 1/2 times the size of the batch seems to work real well. So for 10 gal batches I would go with a 60 qt. Then again I don't ever brew "big" beers. I've always figured for the one big batch a season, it's really no big deal to do 1 or 2 more additional sparges. Also, for a really big beer, you might only be looking for a 5 gal batch anyway.

I do my 5 gal batches in a 25 qt. and my 7.5 gal (1/4 keg) batches in a 42 qt. I read about people using 60 and 70 qt. coolers and I just don't get it?? Just my two sips.

Mike

I've been thinking the same thing, but I looked at some other threads and decided I am getting the 70qt Coleman Xtreme. It's $30 from Walmart.. seems like a decent price and the insulation on them is good from what I hear.

Tried to buy it in store and it was $37.88.. they wouldn't give me $30, even though I can buy online and have it shipped TO THE STORE for free. Gah. Oh well I can wait to save $7.88. :)

This is my first stop - if they are $30 I will buy two. One for my brewing and one to give to the wife for parties - haha. Figure she can't complain then right? :mug:

So I went to Walmart and picked up the 70 gal cooler for about $34 - not bad.

They also had a 125gal cooler there, but I couldn't find a price, so my wife was very proud of me when I decided to stick with the 70gal, not usually my style - lol. Just figured that was overkill.

They also had a 125gal cooler there, but I couldn't find a price, so my wife was very proud of me when I decided to stick with the 70gal, not usually my style - lol. Just figured that was overkill.

You mean quarts right? I gotta hit Walmart if they've really got 70 gallon coolers at that price! :D

Terje

haha yeah - it came with a ball hitch and I drove it home like a trailer!

Did your Walmart have it for $30? I wonder if they dropped the price locally. I would love to save the 7-10 days and just go pick it up at $30 rather than the $37.88.. grr.

I'm gonna buy two as well, and while it's only $15 to buy it right now that $15 could be spent on a ball valve setup! :)

nah I think my Walmart had it for like $35 (we got a bunch of things so not 100% sure)

For me it was worth the $5 to get the instant gratification - haha

I actually put a lot of thought into this very question, and (after 4 previous AG batches) put my reasoning to the test on Labor Day. I got the Coleman eXtreme 70qt b/c I figured that I could mash 40lbs in 12.5 gal of water, resulting in a First Runnings of 7.5 gal -- perfect to boil down to 5 gal.

We proved it this weekend: 40lbs mashed starting at 152F for 9 hours (overnight) ran off 7.5 gal with a preboil gravity of 1.095, which boiled down to 5.25 gal at 1.132. Two batch sparges of that mash combined for a preboil 11.8 gal at 1.032, which boiled to 10 gal at 1.046.

We absolutely maxxed out this MLT, however and I wouldn't dare put another pound in there. Ok, maybe one pound, but that's it! When we were looking at that tub full of 40lbs of milled grain we were seriously doubting, but it worked.

I actually put a lot of thought into this very question, and (after 4 previous AG batches) put my reasoning to the test on Labor Day. I got the Coleman eXtreme 70qt b/c I figured that I could mash 40lbs in 12.5 gal of water, resulting in a First Runnings of 7.5 gal -- perfect to boil down to 5 gal.

We proved it this weekend: 40lbs mashed starting at 152F for 9 hours (overnight) ran off 7.5 gal with a preboil gravity of 1.095, which boiled down to 5.25 gal at 1.132. Two batch sparges of that mash combined for a preboil 11.8 gal at 1.032, which boiled to 10 gal at 1.046.

We absolutely maxxed out this MLT, however and I wouldn't dare put another pound in there. Ok, maybe one pound, but that's it! When we were looking at that tub full of 40lbs of milled grain we were seriously doubting, but it worked.

Mine are on order... got pictures? I'd love to copy! :)

My Wal Mart had the Coleman Extreme 70 QT coolers for 30 bucks each. I got 2 last week and with tax the total was 64.20

My Wal Mart had the Coleman Extreme 70 QT coolers for 30 bucks each. I got 2 last week and with tax the total was 64.20

Yea see.. your Walmart is good... I'm stuck waiting. GAR! Oh well, it gives me some time to go over things in my head a few thousand times and drive me crazy!

Back