Opps what happens when ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddanilow

Reaction score
Made an American style ipa base off of jamils recipe. When I was complete my fermentation and ready to rack I gave my self a sample taste. Noticed it didn't have a flat taste. I went back to the recipe and noticed it called for 7 gallon finish not a 5 gallon. I of course I made it to a 5 gallon finish.

Will my beer turn out ok? Or will this be a bad beer?

How did your sample taste? If the sample you had didn't taste bad, your finished beer probably won't taste bad either. You might have just made a stronger IPA.

The only way to know for sure is to finish it off and taste it once is carbonated and has aged a bit. I wouldn't worry at this point unless the sample you had tasted awful. Even if it was awful, I'd finish the beer and see how it turns out as there isn't a whole lot you can do to change it now and it's way to early to throw in the towel and dump the batch. A little time has a way of improving most homebrews.

The Homebrew Nerd
thehomebrewnerd.com

I did this with an Irish red ale. It was supposed to be ten gallons but I didn't add enough water and ended up with eight gallons of an amazing brown ale. I then scaled the recipe up to ten gallons and am brewing it again (as a brown ale).

TheHomebrewNerd said:
How did your sample taste? If the sample you had didn't taste bad, your finished beer probably won't taste bad either. You might have just made a stronger IPA.

The only way to know for sure is to finish it off and taste it once is carbonated and has aged a bit. I wouldn't worry at this point unless the sample you had tasted awful. Even if it was awful, I'd finish the beer and see how it turns out as there isn't a whole lot you can do to change it now and it's way to early to throw in the towel and dump the batch. A little time has a way of improving most homebrews.

The Homebrew Nerd
thehomebrewnerd.com

When sampled it was when I took my final gravity reading. It didn't taste bad. I expected a flat taste. I have one more week until its aged and ready to drink. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Back