Opinions please! 3yr hops, 10' tall!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alastairblake

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts here... I have three different hop plants. All hitting 10' or taller right now. Zeus has some side arms started. This is earlier than last year I think. Some people are saying that early bines should be hacked down. I didnt.... I just trimmed to 2 to 3 per crown. Are these looking good? Too early? should I hack them down?

ikU4Y5

ekWwfk

eeLYRQ

nf8nmQ

Hops: Zeus, Cascade, Chinook
Date: 5/15/2017

cascade.jpg

chinook.jpg

hopoverview.jpg

zeus.jpg

26' tall. Thankfully I have a slide at the top so that if need be i can lower the cables down and cut the tops of the bines if they are going insane.

Not trying to hijack your thread Alastairblake. I just wanted to show you that the cones will come with healthy early plants.

I lived in Milford PA for 3 years...does that count??? LoL! I now live quite a bit north of you. My hop plants are quite a bit shy (averaging 1 to 3 feet) of 10 or 11+ feet. I did crown them 3.5 weeks ago though.

some more recent developments: Out of the Cascade, Chinook and Zeus, the Zeus has stopped climbing. all leading heads of the bines have become flowers. attatched are photos of the top of Zeus, and also some of Zeus' flowers. Do you think I have some Downy Mildew action? Penn State has recently touched on the issue in PA. https://www.facebook.com/pennstateextension4hops/posts/465984790410030

zeusdone.jpg

zeusdowny.jpg

Back