Opinions on Vienna Lager Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_javi

Reaction score
5 Gallon Batch
OG 1.054
SRM 12.7
ABV 5.7%
IBU 25.6

I don't want to use any Caramel malts, and am shooting for something that is fairly dry and crisp with a good balance of malt with slightly noticeable bitterness.

Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 6.04.43 PM.png

I'd lose the pilsner and carafa and go all vienna, unless you're thinking of competitions and such.

The second hop addition seems a little heavy-handed. I'd dial that back so you end up with around 20-22 IBUs.

For something crisp and dry, you'll want your sacch rest to be around 148. That generally works for me. I love Saaz with vienna, the dry and spicy work for me. Hallertauer is nice though.

Good luck!!

Ya, i have to wonder why you'd want Carafa II in there . You could maybe just drop the pilsner to 1lb if you're trying add a little complexity with the malt, and make up for it with the Vienna ... sounds tasty.

Ya, i have to wonder why you'd want Carafa II in there . You could maybe just drop the pilsner to 1lb if you're trying add a little complexity with the malt, and make up for it with the Vienna ... sounds tasty.

Carafa is strictly for color. Just trying to meet the style guidelines. Why, I don't know, won't be in any competitions.

Just finished reading fixes book on viennas . The main thrust of recipe formulation is to use Pilsener as the base because modern Vienna is made with poorly quality malt.

He recommend molvrian barley, but good luck getting that. I plan on doing a Vienna in a couple of batches time. I will use 75% bohemian pilsener and 25% speciality Malta to get the flavour.

Fix also suggest a good hop schedule

Back