Opinions on best DRY yeast for Hefeweizens?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
I've used DanStar Munich and Mangrove Jack's M20, both with good results.

Both had a great mouthfeel, but the DanStar seemed to provide just a bit more of the characteristics that I love in a good Bavarian hefeweizen. With the M20, I noticed a very slight sulfury smell in the beer that may or may not have been the yeast's fault, but it dissipated quickly, leaving behind a very good beer.

Based on my very limited experience, I think that the DanStar yeast worked just slightly better, but both seemed to be just fine. Does anyone else have any experiences, good or bad? If there's a better dry option for that classic Hefeweizen character, I'd be more than willing to give it a shot.

Suscribed, since I'm quite interested in hefes with dry yeast and read a lot of conflicting opinions.

I have a slightly expired pack of M20 sitting in the fridge. One of these weeks I'll bite the bullet and finally make something with it.

Reading around a little, it looks as though DanStar's Classic Munich Yeast might be the way to go:

http://www.danstaryeast.com/company/products/munich-classic-ale-yeast

This is - according to German Forums - the dry version of the Wyeast 3068 and WLP 300 liquid hefeweizen yeasts, which produce the some very good, very traditional hefeweizens. If I can find it, I'll try it.

Anybody tried T-58? I used it in a wheat beer once and the taste was great (spicy with just a little banana), but it might drop too clear for ya. I wasn't going for any particular style, just wanted something I could ferment while it was 80 degrees in the house.

Hi, z-bob -

I've never tried it, but from reading, it looks like it might be great for a Belgian Wit. I also read that some folks have had great results using it for cider. I will probably give it a try for one or both of those soon; hopefully by fall.

Thanks!

I've used the Danstar Munich and their Munich Classic. I like them both a lot, with a slight preference for the Munich Classic.

I've used the Danstar Munich and their Munich Classic. I like them both a lot, with a slight preference for the Munich Classic.

Isn't the Classic only available in 500g packs? Or were you able to find it in an 11g?

*Edit* Scratch that, was just able to find the 11g in some online stores. Looks like it's gonna be hefe summer.

Anyone know what the attenuation for the Munich Classic is? Lallemand lists it as "Medium to High", which doesn't really help me much considering that I'd need percentages. Also planning a Hefe with this yeast to check it out.

Back