opinion on the Igloo 10 gallon cooler for mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zokfend

Reaction score
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Beverage-Jug-Orange-and-White-10-Gallon/14550424

Igloo 10 gallon cooler from Walmart.com website

Does anybody have any experience with the above-linked cooler that they've converted to a mash tun? The price is pretty good. At first I wondered if a 10 gallon cooler was too much, but as I am beginning to start all-grain, who knows where it will take me . . . . . I really can't afford the greatest and most insulated cooler.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

fwiw, Home Depot sells the Rubbermaid 10 gallon beverage cooler for the same price, and modifying it for a mash tun is pretty well documented...

Cheers!

That's what I use. Same exact one. I've had no issues what so ever. It'll hold mash temps (within a degree or two) for 90 minutes. I use a SS braided hose to filter.

I've used one for almost 20 years. I like that it has a nice, deep grain bed for 5 gal batches. It can handle just about anything for that batch size. I can also handle 10 gal batches of moderate gravity.

does it matter that the igloo has a push-down lid, versus what people are describing on the rubbermade as a screw-top lid? a buddy of mine says the rubbermade brand is better because there's less heat-loss due to the lid, therefore you don't have to wrap it in a blanket (he uses rubbermade).

. . . . I really can't afford the greatest and most insulated cooler.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

IMO you don't need the greatest and most insulated cooler. I have mashed in all sorts of cheap ass coolers and am now doing BIAB mashing in the kettle wrapped in blankets. The key w/ any cooler is to preheat it very well, and IMO using a cooler that is sized appropriately. If you lose a degree or two over an hour mash just strike a couple degrees high...were not splitting atoms here.

Hell, even a bottling bucket set up w/ braid wrapped in a sleeping bag will do fine if you learn how to compensate...strike a few degrees high and infuse a couple quarts boiling water halfway through the mash if ya need to...it's not rocket science:mug:

Or simply mash in your brew kettle and stick it in a warm oven for the hour rest and it will hold temp pretty darn well...many many ways to skin the AG cat.

Zokfend said:
does it matter that the igloo has a push-down lid, versus what people are describing on the rubbermade as a screw-top lid? a buddy of mine says the rubbermade brand is better because there's less heat-loss due to the lid, therefore you don't have to wrap it in a blanket (he uses rubbermade).

My cover seals very well. Almost too well. If I push it all the way on it can be a bear to get back off. As stated, it holds temps very well with no additional insulation. I think you would be happy with it.

Plus Rubbermaid...sounds kinky;)

I have the orange Igloo 10 gallon cooler, and I've been using it for about 6 years or so. I highly recommend it! I can mash up to 24 pounds of grain in it, with 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain. For a 10 gallon batch, I max out at about 1.070 OG but no limit on a 5 gallon batch.

It holds temperature very well, and is easy to clean. I have a false bottom in mine.

I went with an odd sized cooler it's kinda the best of both worlds. It's a Gatorade cooler I got at a yard sale it's 7 gallons made by gott. It's not too big for a low gravity batch and will still hold quite a bit of grain for a higher gravity brew.

I have the Coleman 70qt Xtreme :rockin: and it only dropped 2dF in two hours.... it was only $40.00 online

Any recommendation for a replacement port/valve? I've used the 5gal one and the push valve included with it is less than functional.

Back