oops when racking to secondary - is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbenedetto

Reaction score
I racked my first brew to secondary last weekend after 3 weeks in primary. It's a belgian dubbel so I figure it will benefit from the extra conditioning. Anyways I stupidly neglected to put the hose all the way to the bottom of the carboy and it splashed around quite a bit. Also it got some froth from the pumping and then the slurping of the siphon when the primary bucket got to the end..

Is this gonna make my beer taste like crap or will it be alright? I don't plan on winning any medals but I would like the beer to be palatable.

thanks

jb

I wouldn't be too worried but I also wouldn't do that as a standard step of my process. Beer is pretty hard stuff to harm. It should be fine.

Just one more thing to remember to avoid next time, eh? :D

The only real way to determine if it is ruined is to ship everyone who responds in this thread a six pack for an unbiased evaluation.

Seriously it takes a lot of O2 to damage the beer....usually a LOT MORE than our dumbest racking mistakes....You should be fine...

But if you still doubt...I'm the only one you should ship the batch to...I have credentials..

beerinspectorcard_copy.jpg

It proves how certified I am....or is it certifiable?

:D

thanks for the reassurance. i'll stop worrying about it. as for sending samples... dont hold your breath. i'll be sure to drink a few in your honor though.

jb

I am in a similar situation. When racking my beer from the secondary to the bottling bucket, the fridge- metal-graded tray my carboy was on gave way and the carboy fell out of the fridge (about 5 inches above the floor). On its way down it hit my wrist bone and then I grabbed the carboy. I wore some beer on my shirt that day and there was plenty of splashing. I bottled the beer that day and since have tasted it. It is still flat (needs more time to carbonate), but the flavor was good.

I am named that beer "Broken Arm Alt".

Latest posts

Back