oops...was my sanitizer effective enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just brewed my very first batch of beer a couple of weeks ago, and I'm now wondering about the sanitizer that I used. I had mixed up some Star San in a 1 gallon glass carboy, and noticed that it was a bit cloudy right from the get-go (I used tap water through our refrigerator's filter). I figured that since it was a brand new batch, the sanitizer must be OK, so I just proceeded.

Yesterday I decided to buy some pH test strips (Wine Range - 2.8 to 4.4) to check the remaining Star San that I had mixed up. It looks like the Star San is right around 3.2, which I guess is a bit too high. The strips don't have a color swatch for 3.0, but judging from the 2.8 and 3.2 colors it definitely appears to be over 3.0.

So is it likely that I didn't sanitize properly? I guess if the beer looks and smells OK there's no issue? Just wanted to hear some feedback...I'm new! :) I guess our tap water pH is too high. I'll use distilled next time.

Thanks,
Greg

You're probably fine. If it ends up tasting/smelling good, then you are definitely in the clear.

I went a couple years when I first started brewing without ever sanitizing properly. I cleaned my equipment/bottles/etc thoroughly, but never used a sanitizer. I never had an infection. Turns out beer is kind of hard to screw up. Just be more careful next time.

It seems to me Five Star Chemical says 3.5 PH or lower is good. It doesn't say on the bottle. But it does say it's good against E. Coli & Staphylococcus aureus.

Back