oops....left my grains in mash tun too long!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
I was doing a mash in my cooler at 155f....checked it 30 minutes later, it was at 154f

...then 3 hours went by, and I realized, I FORGOT ABOUT IT!!:drunk:

I'm going ahead and sparging it out right now like nothing happened...

Did I mess it up bad? Or will everything be ok?

It'll probably ferment out a little thinner and drier than you were expecting.

If you get one of these
ultimatechefstore_2043_16838083

you have a timer and an alarm when your HLT hits sparge temp.:p

The company of a good woman has made me lost track of time and leave it for an extra half hour. I've never completely forgot though

Oh give the guy a break. I forget stuff all the time.

My friend just last week forgot that he was boiling eggs. The water boiled out then the egg exploded because they got too hot. When i came over to brew the next day I found half an egg behind the stove.

Oh give the guy a break. I forget stuff all the time.

My friend just last week forgot that he was boiling eggs. The water boiled out then the egg exploded because they got too hot. When i came over to brew the next day I found half an egg behind the stove.

DUDE! I have heard of people snooting through the medicine cabinet at the house they are visiting.... but BEHIND THE STOVE!?!? WOW! You are the curious sort aren't you? :D

I usually get all the lady time done before the brew. Then she takes my notes for me. Win win.

No kidding...... I've taken up brewing to replace the lady time. It lasts longer and doesn't talk back!

DUDE! I have heard of people snooting through the medicine cabinet at the house they are visiting.... but BEHIND THE STOVE!?!? WOW! You are the curious sort aren't you? :D

You misunderstand. I was cleaning all the eggs off the stove top at the time. I figured that if I were going to brew on that stove top (it is a very nice gas stove that will do a full boil) I should remove the egg debris.

Then of course you notice that there is egg guts on the wall . . . you see how this would lead to looking behind the stove.

I think it is best if you check out our cooking show and then you might have a better understanding of the kind of filth I am talking about.

1920fairfax.com ~Just voted the worst show on the internet~

I've done this before, but the eggs never exploded. I'm torn between being thankful and slightly disappointed.

You misunderstand. I was cleaning all the eggs off the stove top at the time. I figured that if I were going to brew on that stove top (it is a very nice gas stove that will do a full boil) I should remove the egg debris.

Then of course you notice that there is egg guts on the wall . . . you see how this would lead to looking behind the stove.

I think it is best if you check out our cooking show and then you might have a better understanding of the kind of filth I am talking about.

1920fairfax.com ~Just voted the worst show on the internet~

HAHAHA! I got you now. That make sense. :mug:

I've done this before, but the eggs never exploded. I'm torn between being thankful and slightly disappointed.

What do you guys think is the best method for boiling eggs?? Been thinking of a semi soft boil with a couple of step boils to kinda dough it in ? Just a newb at Boilin' eggs so thought i would ask you grand masters. also add vinegar or not?:ban:

What do you guys think is the best method for boiling eggs?? Been thinking of a semi soft boil with a couple of step boils to kinda dough it in ? Just a newb at Boilin' eggs so thought i would ask you grand masters. also add vinegar or not?:ban:

Seriously man...

RDWHAHBE

most modern eggs are highly modified, and will convert nicely at standard temps,
free range/organic eggs can benefit from a 122 deg rest for 5 to 10 minutes. also a burton-on-trent water profile can lower the need for post boil salt additions.

most modern eggs are highly modified, and will convert nicely at standard temps,
free range/organic eggs can benefit from a 122 deg rest for 5 to 10 minutes. also a burton-on-trent water profile can lower the need for post boil salt additions.

Hilarious, the incredible edible egg.

Bed, Bath, and Beyond has them for around 15-25 dollars, depending on features you want.

That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George combines two of his favorite things "lady time" and eating (a sandwich). He ends up in the bedroom and then the kitchen.
Sounds like a whole new adventure in brewing, just have to watch out for the hot stuff (like open flames and hot wort) while nekkid....

Back