Oops...didn't add water to get wort to 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmanmiles

Reaction score
I brewed my first home brew this week. It's a extract kit- "Whiteley Series: Bavarian Hefe". I followed directions and added 2 1/2 gall of cold water to the car boy and then added the pitched wort. I neglected to add more water to the car boy to get it back up to 5 gallons.

Net/net is that I started with roughly 4 gallons (or less if thats possible based on the looks of it) of liquid in the car boy while it was supposed to be 5. What am I going to be looking at here? Do I take any adjusting steps? Beer has already been firmenting in primary for 5 days.

All ingredients other then extra water made it in at the right times/temps.

Thanks!!!

No taste diff

Actually, there will be a taste difference. Basically your beer will be concentrated by about 20%, so you'll have 20% more bitterness, 20% more malty and hoppy flavors. You'll also have about 20% more alcohol (assuming it ferments down to the expected FG).

Basically, it's the same thing as making a glass of instant lemonade, but using 20% less water for the same amount of lemonade powder.

Back