Oops, added Ferm 0 near final gravity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laughing jack

Reaction score
Okay, so the title says it all. I made a blackberry melomel using 71b and it reached final gravity faster than expected (first time using 71b). I am following the Tosna 2 format and added the 7 day addition before checking the gravity. The FG was 1042 and the OG was 1150 putting the batch at about 14.5% abv. I have racked it to a new fermentor since, but the addition was throughly mixed in. My question is what do I need to be on the look out for?

TIA,
-J-

Last edited:
Possibly fermentation off-flavors from the yeast not having enough nutrients during fermentation, and/or yeasty flavors from the Fermaid O added after fermentation. ? Or it might be fine, good luck!

Are you not degassing twice daily and measuring gravity at least once daily before the 1/3 break?

Hopefully the residual yeast will clean up after themselves, fermaid o stinks too but maybe it'll be fine.

Give it a taste when it starts to clear and then wait 2-3 week and again taste.

Hopefully the residual yeast will clean up after themselves, fermaid o stinks too but maybe it'll be fine.

Give it a taste when it starts to clear and then wait 2-3 week and again taste.
Fermaid o is is basically only dead yeast which has been overfed with nutrients before being killed. I think you might be good! Fermaid k would have been a different story, but fermaid o leaves you at least with a chance of a good mead :)

Appreciate the encouragement. This was the first time that I have used the TOSNA 2 method and though I’ve been degassing twice a day, I was not taking a gravity reading. Live and learn.

Thanks,
-J-

Just a follow up, I have cold crashed the blackberry mead and now transferred it to a keg to continue aging. At the keg transfer, I checked for clarity and taste. It was good in both. It’s still young at 2 months, but I could not taste any off flavors and neither could my wife. It’s a bit of a dessert mead with a final gravity of 1.038 and a abv of 15%, but I’m looking forward to tasting it in a few months. Thanks again for the help.

-J-

Back