Ontario Beer in Pop Tops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsean

Reaction score
Hello;

So sadly I may have to buy some commercial beer, as my supply line is running very low, so naturally I would like to get some beer in pop top bottles. So my question is;

Does anyone know of an affordable beer that comes in a pop top in Ontario? By affordable I mean something around the price of Canadian, Coors, etc.

Thank You!

you ask for beer, but you want water?

I have always found that Sam Adams (oh no, I said it) is a safe way out. But that's a little more expensive then the water you were suggesting.

Go to the lcbo and get Hoptical Illusion from the Flying Monkeys brewery in Barrie. Affordable, delicious, and pop tops! Plus if you soak the bottles in a bucket of water for a day or two the labels fall right off. My whole bottle supply is souced from these and DFH 60min when it was available here. The labels on DFH are a pain.....

Dan

We canucks are lucky that our screw top bottles are a different quality than those to the south of us as ours are meant to be reused multiple times. They work just fine, don't let the reports of broken bottles scare you off, those are diffferent and much lighter.

That being said, don't let me discourage you from trying the hoptical illusion, it is really good!

you ask for beer, but you want water?

This too >_>

But yes. Hoptical Illusion is good. So is Sergeant Major if you don't mind stubbies (I use them to bottle Blondes for my wife so she has he own stash :p )

Or a few bottles of Hobgoblin. I've become addicted.

I think hoptical illusion is made by a brewery called Flying Monkeys. They also make a light ale and an amber ale. All of these beers are definitely worth trying, I have been pretty impressed with all of them. Their light ale is by far my favorite light beer out there, its so strange to have a 4% beer that tastes like something! Their amber is certainly no slouch either.

I also think it is good to try to support the 'little guys' as that is the type of business that I really want to see succeed.

To top it all off, they are all pry-off bottles which are always welcome in my brewery. Like I said though, Canadian screwtops are heavy duty and work just fine for repeated cappings.

do you just use regular crown caps on the twist off bottles? i have read some old post on this debate but its always nice to hare another opinion. i think i will try a few when i bottle soon.

Red stripe comes in stubby pop-tops, but as mentioned above, Canadian twist offs are significantly heavier and sturdier than American ones. I just got back from Florida, and the bottled there were super flimsy

Red stripe comes in stubby pop-tops, but as mentioned above, Canadian twist offs are significantly heavier and sturdier than American ones. I just got back from Florida, and the bottled there were super flimsy

Red Cap Ale. Classic stubby style with paper labels that are removable. And it's cheap.

Try steam whistle brewery. Real solid bottles, but also a real good pilsner. they're based out of toronto and when I took the tour of the brewery they said they deliver...

Just as an FYI:

Canadian twist-off bottles from the large breweries are made to be refillable. They are a thicker gauge of glass, and can be used for homebrewing. I used them a lot myself. I can't speak for the microbreweries though.

US twist-off's, for the most part, are made to be recycled, and the gauge of glass is thinner. They can be used in a pinch, but the number of broken bottles is higher than with the Canadian ones. I learned (learnt :D) that quickly when I moved to the South!

M_C

Hello;

So sadly I may have to buy some commercial beer, as my supply line is running very low, so naturally I would like to get some beer in pop top bottles. So my question is;

Does anyone know of an affordable beer that comes in a pop top in Ontario? By affordable I mean something around the price of Canadian, Coors, etc.

Thank You!

Hey I`m in Waterloo what suppies do you need?

do you just use regular crown caps on the twist off bottles? i have read some old post on this debate but its always nice to hare another opinion. i think i will try a few when i bottle soon.

Yep, regular caps. I have never had a canadian twist off bottle break or fail to seal.

Steamwhistle is a great pilsner with really great bottles. The only problem is that it's pretty much the most expensive beer at the beer store. Red cap is cool because they are in stubbies (unrealated, there was an empty weed baggy in my unopened bottle... makes you ask questions about their washing techniques).

I don't know if you'll find any really cheap beers with pop tops. Coorse and Keith's are ungodly expensive for what they are anyway. I mean honestly, a watery light beer and a similarly tasting "India pale ale"...

Steamwhistle is a great pilsner with really great bottles. The only problem is that it's pretty much the most expensive beer at the beer store.

Ha well that would be a good reason to not buy it a lot. I've only ever been up to Canada once and toured the brewery while I was there.

I use a bench capper, but based on my understanding of how wing cappers work I think that they should be just fine. I don't know that for a fact though, I have never used one.

I use a wing capper, and have great results even with twist off bottles (only ever had one break)

Not true about the twist off.

I had bottled tons of beer using twist offs, and universal crown caps, never had a problem. Until one time I was ordering from a different LHBS than I normally use, and got different caps. None of them sealed, and almost a whole batch of beer was ruined.

Not all caps are created equally.

Flying Monkey beers are awesome, and the bottles are high grade glass.. also they make awesome beer, that's reasonably cheap.

My favorite pry-off bottles are the 500ml bottles from the various German Hefeweizen brewers.. avail at your LCBO and cheap.

the lhbs in brampton that ive ordered from has reg crown caps and twist off caps but ther are on back order i think, i well try one or 2 regular caps on twist off bottles to see how they hold up, i was going to try the flying monkeys last night but decited to try unibroue trois pisoles since ive heard good things, just finishing off the 6 pack now and im impressed. Too bad they arent pop offs

Back