Online grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy24a

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi gang, been awhile since I brewed but getting back into it with my son. Where do you guys get your grain from? My LHB shop moved kinda far away. Just trying to find a known online resource. Thanks in advance for your reply.

I buy from morebeer... the 10lb bags qualify for free shipping, whereas the 50 lb sacks don't... 5 10lb bags w/ free shipping is cheaper than 1 50lb bag shipped for me.... Plus you can mix and match... 10lb 2-row, 10 lb munich, 10 lb wheat, 5lb vienna, some hops... etc.

I can almost always exceed the $59 require for free shipping...

I buy from morebeer... the 10lb bags qualify for free shipping, whereas the 50 lb sacks don't... 5 10lb bags w/ free shipping is cheaper than 1 50lb bag shipped for me.... Plus you can mix and match... 10lb 2-row, 10 lb munich, 10 lb wheat, 5lb vienna, some hops... etc.

I can almost always exceed the $59 require for free shipping...
Thank you!

Not sure I understand? Malt my own?

that needed a big grin emoji at the end of it.....most feed stores sell whole barley, all you gotta do is sprout it, and then dry, and kiln......(and if they don't stock it, they'd probably order it)

i pay $12.99 for 50lb's, gets me 40lb's of malt......

Not sure I understand? Malt my own?

He's joking.... kinda... Several folks do malt their own grains... You *could* buy the raw barley from the feed store and soak it until it sprouts, then dry the sprouted grain, remove the acrospires, then kiln the grains to your desired level...

But Morebeer is quicker and easier ;)

Morebeer.com, and dare I say it, Northernbrewer.com. I don't like supporting the big guys (I'm pretty sure NB is owned by Anheuser Busch), but their grain, packaging, variety and customer service are unparalleled.

experimental x division of ABInBev, sold to a law firm i think......but that is why learned to make my own!

Talk to your local brewpub.. kind of hard in covid land I know.
One of my favorite local breweries lets me order 55lb sacks at just about their cost when they are ordering.. Plus I get to have a beer when I go for that chore of picking up grain..
Good idea!

+1 on Atlantic Homebrew Supply. I love that place. The grain orders I've placed have been on point, on time, and personalized. Feels like the LHBS that used to be down the street...only online.
Agreed! I like that they double crush (some don’t) and the shipping time has been very reasonable.

I’m going to go on my own here and suggest you look at AIH, Adventures in Homebrewing. They are an excellent LHBS and an amazing online retailer for whatever you need as far as brewing goes-their prices are second to none especially when things are on sale (used corny kegs for $39!) and their selection has never left me wanting.

I visit them every chance I get when I visit the area and order from them frequently, any order issues have swiftly, efficiently, honestly, professionally and to my satisfaction resolved with a quick email or online chat.

I can’t recommend them enough.

Morebeer.com, and dare I say it, Northernbrewer.com. I don't like supporting the big guys (I'm pretty sure NB is owned by Anheuser Busch), but their grain, packaging, variety and customer service are unparalleled.
I live in the Twin Cities where Northern Brewer is located and have used them off and on over the years. In 2016, they were acquired by a “disruptive unit” of AB (you can Google it). Even though local, I’ve ordered online for convenience but not so much anymore since they will not double mill their grain.

Ritebrew.
Neil is awesome.
Put together a recipe's grains (I grind my own w Corona mill)
Buy two recipes worth at a time and even with shipping it's cheaper than the long drive to the LHBS.

If you are with in a reasonable distance of Ravenna/North East, Ohio I recommend Label Peelers. Label Peelers Wine Making and Homebrewing Equipment and Supplies I've ordered from them as late as 2:30 in the afternoon for same day shipping and next day delivery via FedEx Ground. I'm located near York, Pa for reference.

I use to order from More Beer regularly and get orders shipped the same day. Over the last year the orders started getting further and further out. When the quarantine set in they started quoting me a month to get orders. It never took that long but 2 - 3 weeks for shipping, was unacceptable. I changed over to Label Peelers in May and haven't looked back. They have never failed to get me an order the next day so far. Honestly, 2 or 3 days would be fine with me.

Other places I like that are farther away from me.

Hop Craft Supply: Hop Craft Supply Co. | Beer & Wine Making Supplies
Central Street Farmhouse: Central Street Farmhouse

If you are with in a reasonable distance of Ravenna/North East, Ohio I recommend Label Peelers. Label Peelers Wine Making and Homebrewing Equipment and Supplies I've ordered from them as late as 2:30 in the afternoon for same day shipping and next day delivery via FedEx Ground. I'm located near York, Pa for reference.

I use to order from More Beer regularly and get orders shipped the same day. Over the last year the orders started getting further and further out. When the quarantine set in they started quoting me a month to get orders. It never took that long but 2 - 3 weeks for shipping, was unacceptable. I changed over to Label Peelers in May and haven't looked back. They have never failed to get me an order the next day so far. Honestly, 2 or 3 days would be fine with me.

Other places I like that are farther away from me.

Hop Craft Supply: Hop Craft Supply Co. | Beer & Wine Making Supplies
Central Street Farmhouse: Central Street Farmhouse
Thanks for the info. I'm from the Allentown area so it may be the same time frame. I will check them out.

I ordered from Ritebrew today and it shipped today.
He's in Wisconsin and I'm in MA so it takes 3 days.
Just sayin'.

It all depends on how much grain you envision to use in a year.
Check for group grain buys in your (wider) area. There was one near Lancaster run by a homebrewer friend of mine.

Or hook up with a small craft brewery, buying grain by the sack from them. In lieu of that, even some (not so) local homebrew stores may sell them to you for a reasonable price. There's always room for negotiation.

Since you'd only stock up once a year or so, it should be worth driving an hour each way. And think about supporting your (maybe not so local) LHBS too. There's always yeast and specialty malts you need...

I like Label Peelers. They have excellent sales. My last 50 lb 2 row cost me $25 plus shipping. Right now they have an equipment sale..also great customer service! Welcome back...Cheers!

Thanks guys!
YVW!

Do you have a mill? Or know someone who can mill it for you? A local homebrew club can be a real asset.

If not, buying milled grain is a toss up. The milling tends to be fairly coarse, or coarser. You may need to mash longer and stir more often to get decent extraction efficiency. Do an Iodine test to check for completion of conversion.

You can't store milled grain that long, maybe a year if kept in (food grade) barrier bags and if kept cool or frozen maybe up to 2 years? But it surely doesn't improve.

YVW!

Do you have a mill? Or know someone who can mill it for you? A local homebrew club can be a real asset.

If not, buying milled grain is a toss up. The milling tends to be fairly coarse, or coarser. You may need to mash longer and stir more often to get decent extraction efficiency. Do an Iodine test to check for completion of conversion.

You can't store milled grain that long, maybe a year if kept in (food grade) barrier bags and if kept cool or frozen maybe up to 2 years? But it surely doesn't improve.
I plan on getting a mill for sure. Thanks!

I’m going to go on my own here and suggest you look at AIH, Adventures in Homebrewing. They are an excellent LHBS and an amazing online retailer for whatever you need as far as brewing goes-their prices are second to none especially when things are on sale (used corny kegs for $39!) and their selection has never left me wanting.

I visit them every chance I get when I visit the area and order from them frequently, any order issues have swiftly, efficiently, honestly, professionally and to my satisfaction resolved with a quick email or online chat.

I can’t recommend them enough.
I just got an order from them. Their website says they try to process orders in 24-48 hours and I got an email 44 hours later saying it had been filled. It arrived on schedule and was well packed.

I'm totally serious too! I'd be willing to give it a shot! I do 5 gallon batches...usually doing IPA's, browns, ambers, etc., with up to a 11 to 11.5lb grain bill all said and done.

Back