Onion Blossom mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Reaction score
I got some cheap Onion Blossom honey and after tasting it decided to make mead.
Light floral nose, with a bit of fresh cut onion thrown in.

Attachments

• IMG_20210727_142942.jpg
    IMG_20210727_142942.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 11
Fermentation got going quite well (photo was of day 3).
The onion smell has faded significantly, the floral note is still there.

Attachments

• onion mead.jpg
    onion mead.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Fermentation got going quite well (photo was of day 3).
The onion smell has faded significantly, the floral note is still there.
Where did you happen upon onion blossom honey? Was it expensive vs other varieties (like orange blossom or tupelo)?

Where did you happen upon onion blossom honey? Was it expensive vs other varieties (like orange blossom or tupelo)?
A friend sells raw honey as part of a green sideline business. One of his suppliers put hives where seed onion is grown. It was about the same price as orange blossom

A friend sells raw honey as part of a green sideline business. One of his suppliers put hives where seed onion is grown. It was about the same price as orange blossom
Nice score. I tried Google to find some to buy, but, haven't found any yet.

Might have to ask a beekeeper. Apparently most people aren't all that keen on honey that has an onion smell.
I'll have to find an onion farmer & see if they have bees brought in to pollinate & ask that bee keeper.

So the mead was just racked. It has started to clear, but it is still very fresh.
Not bone dry on hydrometer 1.005 tastes a bit sweeter.
Light floral note, hint of fresh onion. As is I would drink a small glass, hopeful that it will be interesting when its aged a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20210825_190111.jpg
    IMG_20210825_190111.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210825_185823.jpg
    IMG_20210825_185823.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Back