One Gallon Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JQhomebrew

Reaction score
I do small batch brewing and I am looking to do some kegging. I see Northern Brewer has released a 1 gallon keg kit which looks quite nice, but has anyone had any experience with other brands? TMCraft, NutriChef, etc.?

I use 1.75 gallon kegs, about $90 from homebrewing.org. There’s usually extra headspace, but that doesn’t hurt anything. Or there are torpedo kegs from MoreBeer and elsewhere, which I haven’t used but the stacking is appealing, especially for small kegs. My keezer has a 1.75 on top of every 3, for a total of 18 kegs.

I also use the 1.75 gallon kegs from homebrewing.org for my 1G batches along with their 3 gallon ones for my 2.5G batches. I like them and can stack a 1.75 on top of a 3, making it possible to fit up to 8 in my extra refrigerator.

NorthernBrewer Cannonball 1.75 gallon keg and all Morebeer Torpedo kegs are stackable with the disconnects
attached on. Other brand kegs maybe stackable before the disconnects attached on,but not be stackable after the disconnects are attached on:)

I have several Torpedo kegs. I have two of the 2.5 gallon ones for beer, and I keep a 1.5 gallon keg for kombucha. I've been using them about a year now, and I really love them. They're super high quality, very pretty (if you care about that), and as mentioned above will stack with disconnects attached. I've never had any performance issues; I get a great seal every time. Very solid design. They feel like they will last me a lifetime, and I doubt I'll ever buy a different brand of keg.

I have some 1.75gal cannon balls and some small torpedo kegs. The volumes they are sold by is not the volume you can get into them as you need to leave some head space inside to keep the gas post above the beer. I can get 1.6 in my cannon balls and 1.3 in torpedo kegs. I prefer the cannon balls as I can get a little more inside.

I also have some of the man can or small kegland type kegs, but have had issues with oxidation from time to time with them so I would stay away of them for long term storage.

All the mini kegs such as Kegland,or other several brands are made by same several Chinese factories,
The mouth is too small,the relief valve,gas post and liquid post meet together into the lid,
when you want to open the lid only,but everything need to be removed together,this is not good:)

That’s what I use for my office keg. Works great!

Attachments

• 6EA664F5-CC69-4FBF-85B4-4B2D452F5803.jpeg
    6EA664F5-CC69-4FBF-85B4-4B2D452F5803.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
Beermeister32
I like the spring attached to your tap handle. Found out the hard way that having something to ensure the tap is closed is a great idea. Too many things to bump a unsecured tap handle around my house. Springs look much better than my rubber bands.

Beermeister32
I like the spring attached to your tap handle. Found out the hard way that having something to ensure the tap is closed is a great idea. Too many things to bump a unsecured tap handle around my house. Springs look much better than my rubber bands.
That was an earlier version, I've moved on to stainless self attached springs, check it out:

TAP.PNG

Thanks for the pictures of your latest version. Looks much better and less likely to fail than my rubber bands. So much learned knowledge out here.

I give Northern a lot of business, but I shopped the Keg, Tap and parts they sell for a 1 gallon Keg setup, and found all the same stuff (minus the Norther Brewer sticker on the Keg), from Amazon for about 70.00 cheaper with free prime shipping on it all.

I give Northern a lot of business, but I shopped the Keg, Tap and parts they sell for a 1 gallon Keg setup, and found all the same stuff (minus the Norther Brewer sticker on the Keg), from Amazon for about 70.00 cheaper with free prime shipping on it all.
You wouldn't happen to have a link for all of that.

I got holiday money from work I have to spend it on on amazon

I sent the double ball lock mini keg dispenser as an option. Yes you would need a CO2 line with regulator and a tap. I use mine in a mini fridge for my beer engine. I do have a regulated CO2 line going to the Keg and the Hand pull is my tap. I am no expert on Nitrogen, but it seems you could modify this to work. Actually a great idea. Ultimately, the 110.00 all in one mini travel keg is all you need to have a ready to go tap. An extra box of CO2 cartages are suggested. I'm so new to this, I don't have a measurement of how long a cartilage lasts, but I don't wanna be stuck without a backup.

Ive been using a Torpedo 1.5 for a cleaning tank for the keg lines and occasionally for beer when i want a little more than a 5 gallon batch. Its been perfect

16 gram cartridges don't keep the party going very long. I'd find an adapter and hang a 90 gram cartridge on it if you can somehow make it fit.

Either that or take multiple 16 gram cartridges along.

16 gram cartridges don't keep the party going very long. I'd find an adapter and hang a 90 gram cartridge on it if you can somehow make it fit.

Either that or take multiple 16 gram cartridges along.

Its mostly for myself. I'd likely get a small co2 tank if I was taking it to a party.

I have one of the cheap 1.6 gallon ball lock kegs from Amazon, and I've been really happy with it. The stock o-rings were all junk, I replaced them right away. I use that keg for kegging 1-1.5 gallon small batches, or split batches when I want to flavor a portion of a larger batch in the keg.

Torpedo's 1.5 gallon kegs are supposed to be a great option though I haven't tried them myself.

At this point, if I buy any more small kegs they'll be 10L sanke kegs, even if I'm only planning to keg 1 gallon in them. They're my favorite kegs by far.

Back