One final shout before re-pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonlighter

Reaction score
I brewed a high gravity extract Porter a while back. It sat in my temperature controller at 62-64 degrees for 10 days (Wyeast 1084), where by all visible aspects it went through a vigorous fermentation. High, healthy krausen that peaked in 3 days and slowly ebbed to day 10. OG 1.084, 5 gallon batch. I can provide the recipe if that helps. Expected final gravity: 1.022

On day 10 I removed the carboy from temperature control and allowed the temperature of the beer to rise to 68 degrees. I find this helps get those last couple points of gravity.

Anyhow, fast forward to week 3. I take my first post fermentation gravity reading and get... 1.040.

So, I swirl and wait another week and get... 1.038. I think I'm stuck.

I did some research and it was suggested that I hydrate some S-04 and repitch.

I know this topic has been discussed a hundred times; I'm just asking, is there anything I should re-try before repitching. Note: The recipe already called for amylase, so I don't want to add any more.

Thanks

Ah the always disappointing fermentus interruptus. Do you feel you aerated well enough? What was your method?

Have you tasted it? And was it a hydrometer or refractometer reading?

If you're going to pitch more yeast, I would highly recommend pitching actively fermenting yeast. I.e., make a small starter, plug it with an airlock and pitch the whole thing at high krausen (~8-12 hours later). Keep the temps warm, ~70F.

Always ready to give it more time. I'll bring it up to 73 for 3-4 days and check the gravity.

I feel that I under pitched. I made a 3/4 gallon starter, was shooting for 1 gallon but had to brew before that happened. As the name implies I work two full time jobs. Aeration method is vigorous shaking. Yeast pack was fresh.

Starter on stir plate or no? 1.61 liters if stirplate would have been sufficient. If not on stirplate, then 4.28 liters

You made 2.84 liters or .75 gallons...

I wouldnt think that the under pitching(not by mutch) would be the issue... I would say the temp and the beginning gravity were the issue... Yeast nutrient might help:)

follow up. I swirled, I raised the temp to 72 and waited. Gravity dropped a few points. I figured maybe I didn't add enough amylase so I added another 1/4 tsp. Kept temp at 72. I'm happy to report the gravity dropped to the expected FG in 3 days and stayed there. Waited a week and kegged; carbed up and waited another week. I am now sipping a rather fantastic porter.

Thanks for all the help.

Back