Ondea Pro, Ceremix, and Termamyl Mash Regimen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjmaillie

Reaction score
I've been having fairly good luck using Ondea and Ceremix at 1ml/lb and using the 25min@125, 60min@145, and 60 minutes@175. I've been out of the loop for a while (i.e. off facebook) and was wondering if this is still the standard or if anyone has had luck changing it up a bit? Also noticed Jason over at Mutanis is still using Termamyl. He's pretty much the OG of Gf brewing so I'm sure there's solid reasoning behind it.

Last edited:
Hey Man,

Yeah, that's a pretty common mash schedule and dosage. Some guys (like Jason & I think, JP) do 125 for 20 minutes and then a 45 minute rise to 176 and hold for 60 minutes. I'm not sure what the what the benefit is, as I have not tried it.

Regarding the Termamyl, I saw an interview with JP where he said he just uses the Termamyl because it really liquifies things and keeps the mash moving easily. I would agree with this. I brew a stout with 30% buckwheat that can be a rough brew day with possible stuck mashes and lower extraction. On my last attempt, I added Termamyl and it was a breeze. I generally don't add it for other beers.

Also, not sure if you know, but Jason has been sharing his recipes:
https://mutantis.beer/recipes

So @skleice, is this the schedule you are using or have you changed it up? I’m thinking the slow rise from 120 to 176 is what works for them and their system. With the grainfather, I’m not sure it’s all that necessary.

I did see the recipes Jason has uploaded. That’s pretty damn awesome, and where I saw his use of Termamyl. Liquefaction seems to make the most sense now that you mention it. I have some left so I might try it in the next few brews to see what difference it makes.

So @skleice, is this the schedule you are using or have you changed it up? I’m thinking the slow rise from 120 to 176 is what works for them and their system. With the grainfather, I’m not sure it’s all that necessary.

I did see the recipes Jason has uploaded. That’s pretty damn awesome, and where I saw his use of Termamyl. Liquefaction seems to make the most sense now that you mention it. I have some left so I might try it in the next few brews to see what difference it makes.

Yeah, I use 125 for 15, 145 for 60 and 176 for 60. I'm also experimenting with losing the 125 protein rest. Supposedly, that can give a bit more body, but the jury's still out. Some guys are shortening their mashes down to an hour with good results, but I think those are mostly millet grain bills. I really prefer using 4L as my base for most beers, so I'm not even gonna try that. I don't mind the 2 hour mash....it's so easy with the Grainfather.

Yeah, I use 125 for 15, 145 for 60 and 176 for 60. I'm also experimenting with losing the 125 protein rest. Supposedly, that can give a bit more body, but the jury's still out. Some guys are shortening their mashes down to an hour with good results, but I think those are mostly millet grain bills. I really prefer using 4L as my base for most beers, so I'm not even gonna try that. I don't mind the 2 hour mash....it's so easy with the Grainfather.

I know. This rising step mash on the Grainfather is the easiest its ever been. Enzymes in, mash in, set it and forget it! I find that some combination of buckwheat, quinoa, and oats at 15-20% does wonders for body so I havn't thought about knocking that 125 rest out either. Plus I find that starting at lower temps makes the brew day go easier too.

Have you messed around with adjusting attenuation at all with either enzyme load or mash times?

Have you messed around with adjusting attenuation at all with either enzyme load or mash times?

I just started doing that. I dropped the Ceramix dosage to .75ml/lb for my last NEIPA. I did see a slightly higher FG (1.014 vs 1.012), but it was only one brew. I'm gonna keep experimenting with that going forward.

Back