On this memorial day, I lament...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamwhatiseem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We live next to a park that was dedicated in 1922 with a large WW1 memorial, years later they also erected a large WW II memorial. Complete with life-size soldier statue, beautifully carved eagles etc.
The WW1 memorial was finished in 1928. The soldier statue stood, untouched for 60 years. In the late 80's someone knocked it's head off. So they replaced it. No more than a few months later - knocked it off again. They replaced it one more time and installed lights all around it.
Years have gone by, the statue is gone. Not only was the head knocked off again, but kids busted off the rifle he was holding and even marred up the writings of the dedication. Only the base stands today. The WW II memorial, kids knocked off the beaks of the eagles, then the heads...they rebuilt them, only to have the beaks broke off again. Kids have NUMEROUS times spray painted graffiti on them and scratched out words.
This has happened in parks all across the nation.
Why?
What is different with teenagers growing up after the 1980's? Statues that stood untouched for decades and decades of teenagers can no longer stand.

It became child abuse to discipline them physically, and now even verbally.

But rest assured there are a lot of really good kids out there. They just don't make the news because its not sensational enough.

I assure you there are many Americans that are in fact patriots. I was a teenager in the 90's I love my country and hold very high esteem for those that gave their lives for our freedom.

While I haven't served in the military myself I have classmates/friends I grew up with that have given their lives for their country and to that end I fly my flag today and bow my head.

Back