On General Beer Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiz54

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Perhaps one of the most important rules I have is to properly clean and sanitize equipment, but perhaps slightly less criticle than that is properly conditioning beer. Now There are a couple of different ways to do this. Single or Double fermentation, bottle or keg. Filtration or no filtration. I wanted to know what people on here prefer. I have done almost all of the above but I still do not know what the best way is. Also how long should a beer taste green after bottling. 3 weeks? 2 months? Well I would be eager to hear your thoughts thanks and happy brewing.

There is no "right" way and you will hear so many opinions it will confuse you more.

Seriously - everyone has their thoughts.

Green beer- "I" consider beer green from 0 to 5 weeks after bottling. It is certainly drinkable before that - I've enjoyed a fully carbonated beer 1 week after bottling but I knew it was not the beer I would have in 5 weeks.

So my spreads sheets all have a 5 week mark. The darker the beer the more aging will help. For instance - I had a Chocolate Stout that was WONDERFUL after 3 weeks but REALLY wonderful after 2 months (dit was gone after 2 months LOL)

It really varies. Mty general rules is 2 weeks or so at 70 degrees, then a few more weeks at least at around 60 degrees. My single kegging experience so far has me pretty sold on the idea of natural carbonation once kegged-then crash cooling.

Ok so what is green beer to you all. I mean what does it taste like to you. For me it has sort of a twang or a bit of a harshness that kind of drowns out other flavors in a beer. How long can a beer really stay green?

For me, green is hop flavor that is out of control, and a biting, rubbing alcohol flavor. After about three weeks or a month, those two seem to give way to more malt taste, and general good taste.

How long a beer stays green can depend on the style, I think. Hoppier, higher alcohol beers, in my experience, need a lot more conditioning time.

Back