old honey bee ale kit - honey jug is solid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crh1109

Reaction score
I have unearthed an old extract kit of MS honey bee ale kit. I ordered some fresh yeast, and was going to brew in the next couple days, but when I opened the box, I found the jug of honey to be mostly hard. Can honey go bad? Should I still use this kit? Thanks in advance.

I have no idea about that kit, but I always thought honey never really goes bad. The internet agrees with me, but says the taste fades over time. You could try warming it a little, which will remove the crystallisation, and then tasting some. If it tastes ok you could run the batch and see how it comes out.

Here's something a little more specific:
http://tipnut.com/crystallized-honey/

I think honey is probably one of the only things that cant go bad. Its still good to use, just put it in a sink of hot water to soak. Might take a while but you will be good to go.

Thanks you guys. I had a feeling that honey didn't go bad, but didn't know how it would perform in the brewing process. I also had the idea of sitting it in a warm water bath to soften it up. I appreciate the input, and I'll keep posted on how it turns out!

Try not to heat over 140...but if it is going into the boil I guess it doesn't matter. Summer time just set it in the sun. Micro is ok but watch it.
Jack

Back