OLD homebrew found...should I drink it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
My bro in law brewed beer (extract kits only). He only did a few batches before he quit. anyway, he in my ex bro in law now. My sister in law brought me his corny keg and carboy. the corny was half full of beer!

OK, this beer has been under co2 pressure and sitting in a keg in a basement (cool, not cold) for about 3 years! I chilled a glass and tried it. Tastes like a stout (guiness-like). tastes like a good amount of ABV, too! it's not bad.

What do you think? Is it safe to drink? What can happen at unrefigerated temperatures, under co2 pressure, after 3 years?

John

Drink it. I found a case of bottled Edme extract stout in my outside storage building from 15 years ago and I drink one every now and then. Tastes about the same as it did way back then. I just ignore the rust!

They have found beer in ship wrecks that were hundreds of years old and drank them. In fact they made beer using the yeast in those bottles. I say drink it.

That one explorer ate raw meat from a wooly mammoth he discovered after 10,000 years of permafrost. 3 year old beer is nothing!

Drank a couple last night, and I'm still alive this morning. It's fine. Nothing special, just a decent stout. But a good score nonetheless.

Your stomach is capable of dealing with a lot of nasties so if the beer tastes fine I doubt there is anything in there that could possibly make you sick.

Also that is why you have a nose right above your mouth, so you can smell if it is rotten before you put it into your mouth.

Your stomach is capable of dealing with a lot of nasties so if the beer tastes fine I doubt there is anything in there that could possibly make you sick.

Also that is why you have a nose right above your mouth, so you can smell if it is rotten before you put it into your mouth.

good point. It smells good. tastes good. I have been drinking it for 2 days (not straight). so far, so good.

Back