Old Fashion Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batteman87

Reaction score
Going to attempt to combine the flavor of an Old Fashion cocktail with a "big" amber ale base (big as in higher ABV 8% target). Had the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale (Alltech Brewing) version last year and have not been able to get anymore with its limited release and my location. This combines two of my favs. An Old Fashion (the unOfficial state drink of Wisconsin... Sorry milk). And the lovely bourbon ale from Kentucky. Will see how it turns out, and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or critiques on this recipe.

5 Gallon all grain
- 80% 2 Row pale
- 15% Caramel 40
- 5% Carapils
- Cascade hops to 25 IBU
- Bitter orange peel added 5 min to flame out
- Wyeast American Ale II
- Med. toast Hungarian oak soaked in 16oz bourbon and will add to secondary for 3 wks.
- 1oz cherry extract added to keg (figured I would start there and add more extract to taste since you can't take it out if you added too much). Just want a hint, not to over power the balance I'm looking for.

Target Mash target temp 152 degree F
Target Sparge with 168 degree F

Will update. Cheers!

Sounds cool. You could use Angostura for aromatics, reduce the crystal a bit and add a little lactose for sweetness. That way you tick the milk too.

I had not thought about the Angostura. Tempted to soak my oak cubes in brandy vs bourbon. Not too many brandy fans in South Carolina vs Wisconsin lol.

I lost a comment. You could do a clean batch and after primary divide it into five one gallon demijohns. Hard to get the blend of stuff right otherwise! You can use each to try a different ratio of adjuncts / aromatics / cubes. Or even blend them back.

Latest posts

Back