Old Faithfull with Pics and Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HABIT

Reaction score
Creme Ale with WLP080 at 58 with a 2 liter starter . . . . Definately more than I expected. This is 2 days into fermentation. I discovered this about midnight when switching out ice bottles in the swamp cooler. The top stretches out like a basketball before it "releases". This is my first experience using a blow off tube. Needless to say I didn't sleep to well last night. :eek:
I've seen a few pics and vids on here and they are always of intrest . . . ENJOY !!! :rockin::mug::rockin:

100_1381.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1383.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1396.jpg
[/IMG]

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/HABITS_HOUSE/?action=view&current=100_1384.flv

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/HABITS_HOUSE/?action=view&current=100_1392.flv

Careful with that thing, she looks angry ;)

haha, good stuff, see the problem with using the 3-piece airlock as a fitting for a blowoff tube is the bottom of the stem that reaches into the bucket has 4 small holes on it, rather than 1 big one. The holes are too small to let thick krausen through, so it gets all backed up. If I start having volcanoes like that all the time I'm just gonna get a piece of straight plastic tube to sit in that hole.

Careful with that thing, she looks angry ;)

haha, good stuff, see the problem with using the 3-piece airlock as a fitting for a blowoff tube is the bottom of the stem that reaches into the bucket has 4 small holes on it, rather than 1 big one. The holes are too small to let thick krausen through, so it gets all backed up. If I start having volcanoes like that all the time I'm just gonna get a piece of straight plastic tube to sit in that hole.
just cut that little piece of plastic off. that's what I did for my barley wine blowoff yesterday

This airlock stays on the tube for just such an emergency and does have the X removed. There might be a couple that still have them but they stay with the wine/cider side of the operation.:mug:

That second video is how some of mine blowoff. Man do it ever get noisy.

When all was quiet last night I could here it bellow in the basement on the other side of the house. . . My 17 yr old who's room is in the basement said he never heard anything . . . Did I mention I didn't sleep much last night. I had 4 beach towels laid over it and just knew this morning I was in for some cleaning. . . Bucket and mop was on standby.

Back