Old crashing in keg- whats your process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoGP1000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi -

First time using a conditioning keg for cold crashing my iPas. What your process?

hoping to get it right the 1st time without oxidation or some other fail

Thanks!

I like to add 3.5-4 oz of sugar to the keg prior to filling , then let it condition at ambient for 2 weeks then put in the chamber at 33* until there's room in the kegerator. If I want it clear I'll add gelatin after a couple days in the chamber, but most beers clear after 2-3 weeks in the chamber.

I like to add 3.5-4 oz of sugar to the keg prior to filling , then let it condition at ambient for 2 weeks then put in the chamber at 33* until there's room in the kegerator. If I want it clear I'll add gelatin after a couple days in the chamber, but most beers clear after 2-3 weeks in the chamber.
Do you ever use a conditioning keg? So fermenter to conditioning kegs that will cold crash to serving keg?

If you put 10 psi of CO2 on the keg after you move the beer into it, you can't draw any oxygen in while cold crashing. Purge the headspace a few times with CO2 as well. You're more likely to get O2 into your beer during the transfer to the keg so read about closed transfers with CO2 if you have a way to do that.

If you put 10 psi of CO2 on the keg after you move the beer into it, you can't draw any oxygen in while cold crashing. Purge the headspace a few times with CO2 as well. You're more likely to get O2 into your beer during the transfer to the keg so read about closed transfers with CO2 if you have a way to do that.

Thank you! I was wondering about how co2 I might should put into the keg during crashing. So that’s good advice. I typically close transfer so very familiar with that.

my concern was that I might actually carbonate the beer while in the conditioning my adding the co2. But sounds like thst answer is a no. I’m very excited to see how this works. I’m brewing another neipa and trying to get that hop burn out of my beer. Bagging the hops has been the only way so I’m hoping this works better since bagging doesn’t give me the same hop utilization

Moto, that would mean cleaning another keg ,so no I don't transfer normally. If the beer is destined for a festival of party then yes I pressure transfer with spunding valve.

my autocorrect is awful on this phone

oh, you're typing on a phone. i wasn't sure if you were a native english speaker or not. but that would explain it....;)

as far as cold crashing, i usually just put my kegs in the fridge to carbonate?

my concern was that I might actually carbonate the beer while in the conditioning my adding the co2. But sounds like thst answer is a no. I’m very excited to see how this works. I’m brewing another neipa and trying to get that hop burn out of my beer. Bagging the hops has been the only way so I’m hoping this works better since bagging doesn’t give me the same hop utilization

I would think you'd carbonate the beer some. The degree of which would depend on how long you would cold crash it and how much co2 was on it. If a day, probably fairly minimal. I don't know that you would need 10psi of co2 on it - when I would cold crash in a glass carboy I would hook up a carboy cap with a co2 line & a balloon and I'd generally turn the tank on just enough that it was hissing. Would crash for 2 or 3 days and then transfer via co2.

Are you unable to cold crash in your fermenter?

I believe I've seen folks dry hop a little colder than room temp (in the 50s?) to avoid hop burn.

my goal is to close transfer from FV to a purged keg just before fermentation completion. I spund allowing fermentation to complete at room temp. It carbonates while finishing. I then cold crash under CO2 pressure.

I would think you'd carbonate the beer some. The degree of which would depend on how long you would cold crash it and how much co2 was on it. If a day, probably fairly minimal. I don't know that you would need 10psi of co2 on it - when I would cold crash in a glass carboy I would hook up a carboy cap with a co2 line & a balloon and I'd generally turn the tank on just enough that it was hissing. Would crash for 2 or 3 days and then transfer via co2.

Are you unable to cold crash in your fermenter?

I believe I've seen folks dry hop a little colder than room temp (in the 50s?) to avoid hop burn.

My new speidel does fit in my mini fridge anymore lol. Trying that fermenter to keg to keg process for the cold crash

My new speidel does fit in my mini fridge anymore lol. Trying that fermenter to keg to keg process for the cold crash

does, anymore? i knew this would be a fun thread, lol...But why do you want to go from keg to keg? unless you're planing on traveling with them and stiring up the sediment, why not just cold crash in one keg, and serve from it? (maybe this is advanced stuff i'm not familiar with??)

I rack from primary into kegs(closed transfer), spund, then crash. Yes there is a little sediment in bottom of kegs, but 3/4 inch cut off the dip tubes and beer is usually very clean.

Before I started spunding did the same, but then force carbed after crashed. Never did have to worry about O2 or ballons, etc.

does, anymore? i knew this would be a fun thread, lol...But why do you want to go from keg to keg? unless you're planing on traveling with them and stiring up the sediment, why not just cold crash in one keg, and serve from it? (maybe this is advanced stuff i'm not familiar with??)

bear with me I’m typing on a phone and it’s literally trying to autocorrect everything to something else.

The idea is the conditioning keg will vastly reduce hop harshness commonly seen in neipas

The idea is the conditioning keg will vastly reduce hop harshness commonly seen in neipas

Assuming you are leaving any "dry" hops in primary, pretty sure you don't want to leave them in contact with beer too long.

One sure way reduce hop harshness is to age in keg, nice and cold, as in lager, both lagers and ales. A few weeks at around or just below freezing does wonders for many beers.

Other factors of course include timing, amount and type of hops. I often do a post whirlpool hop step, and lowering the temp of that from around 185F to 170 ish helped a lot in minimizing hop oil bite while still getting some flavor.

I don't brew any "neipas" so take my advice with an ounce of hops.

I dry hop and cold crash in primary... then fill a keg with sanitizer and push it out with co2... then do a closed transfer from primary to the keg. The cold crash and careful closed transfer give me a nice finished product... the first pint of my kegs are nice and clean... no hop/yeast sludge.

Back