Old CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
Alright guys I got a question or two on tanks. I managed to get a hold of a free 20lb co2 tank yesterday. That and 2 cornies (I'm going back in search of the other tanks and kegs). This was all for free so its not too big if they are non usable. The kegs look great and were not even dirty inside, granted they were still each half full of coke and pepsi from about 12 years ago!!. Now on the the real question, how do I know about the durability of this tank. I keep reading peoples post about getting them checked. I'm too cheap for that at this point, should I dunk it in my bath tub? I don't really understand how a tank can go bad, just replace what ever is on top of it right (obviously not but please tell me why)? the tank is as old as the cornies and it is damn near full and when I turn the valve co2 comes out, so I'm fairly optimistic. Thanks alot guys - David

the tank should have a date stamped on it usually near the top. every 5 years it needs to be recertified to make sure it will not leak or rupture. you will not be able to get it filled without the recertification.

a 20lb tank is about 4 feet tall or so...and IMO is overkill for a kegerator. of course, ymmv

If it has gas, you can use it, however no one can legally fill it if the hydo test is beyond the expiry date. The price on the test varies ~$17 - $30 is what I have seen on the board. You're best bet is to find place(s) that will fill it and ask.

The tank is more than likely fine, but you should look for the stamp around the neck that will tell you the date of the last hydrostatic test. You can use it untill you need it filled then you will have to pony up for a hydro test or an exchange and I belive they will charge you the test fee when you exchange it usually about the same as the fill fee, where I am anyway.

so should I find a place to refill it and ask there where the testing can be done? I agree that 20lbs may be over kill for a kegerator but it was free and that the best kind of over kill. I suppose it will come in hand for the fact that I will be able to force carbonate and serve a few batches before having to refill.

I have the same problem with the tank that I recently aquired. It's last test date is about 12 years ago. I am worried that because it has some beverage company's name that doesn't even exist anymore stamped on the side, no one will fill it or exchange it....or test it.

Also, when they hydrostatic test a tank they put it in a chamber and then fill it will up to 5000psi of water pressure. Water is used because if the tank burst it would just spray water everywhere and not explode like gas would if it were under that kind of pressure. They are testing to see if the tank, after being subjected to that kind of pressure, will return to specs (close it's original size) when the pressure is released. That way they can determine if the metals used in the tank have been expanded too much over time which could potentially cause the tank to burst.

Open the phone book and look for "fire extinguisher". Here's big yellow's results for Cleveland, TN:

C.Pye Barker Fire & Safety
423-499-5505
2137 Waterlevel Hwy
Cleveland TN 37311-6442
More Results For: Engineers-Fire Protection
More Results For: Fire Extinguishers

More InfoDirections
D.Cintas Fire Protection
423-479-8415
2137 Inman St E
Cleveland TN 37311
More Results For: Fire Extinguishers