Old CO2 Regulator - Is it good or should I get a new one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alowishus

Reaction score
Hi All,

So far the process to setup a keg fridge has been pretty fun and relatively painless. I'm still gathering equipment and reading up on setups, etc.

I used to have a large saltwater reef aquarium that I used CO2 setup that I used to produce calcium carbonate for my corals. I still have the 20lb tank and the regulator, but as it had been sitting in a fairly caustic environment for several years, there is quite a bit of rust on the tank and regulator.

I'm not so worried about the tank - light surface rust and needs a recertification, but it's OK. I'd like to have a smaller tank to fit in the small fridge, but I may just reuse this one.

The regulator is another story. The dials are pretty rusty and I'm sure the output dial is probably a bit high for kegging. I bought this new a long time ago - it's a Uniweld 592H Regulator. There are some pictures of the regulator below.

Can the HBF powers that be give me some advice on what I should do with this regulator? I assume it's OK for kegging. Should I - Trash it and get a new one? Get new dials? Where do I get new dials?

Thanks!
alow

CO2Reg1.jpg

Front
CO2Reg2.jpg

Back
CO2Reg3.jpg

Back Cover
CO2Reg4.jpg

Some more corrosion

The regulator looks fine. I've seen some operating regulators that were in much worse shape than that one.

You are right about the low pressure gauge, though. For the most part, you will be working around that first line. You should be able to swap it out for another gauge, though.

TL

I cannot say if it is still 'good' for use in a beverage dispensing system.

If you have $30 to spare, I'd just replace it. the low gauge on yours needs to be replaced so you can get a more precise CO2 output (you only need 10-12 psi).

TexLaw said:
You should be able to swap it out for another gauge, though.

Are gauges all "standard" with regards to threading and what not? Also, where can I find gauges - I assume some online beverage/food retailer?

malkore said:
I cannot say if it is still 'good' for use in a beverage dispensing system.

It was new when purchased and only ever had CO2 put through it. I know there are purities of CO2 out there, but what would affect the "usability" of this regulator that would render it not good enough for kegging?

Thanks!
alow

Heh. I never noticed the "page" links at the bottom. Oops. Time to go see what other products have been "missing" this whole time! :D

That regulator looks like it is an O2 regulator - not a CO2 regulator.
I think that the fittings are different, to stop people hooking up the wrong tanks ect.. for example hooking up a CO2 tank to a Hospital that is pushing out O2 (for example).
So you probably want to check on that.

Kilroy

alowishus said:
It was new when purchased and only ever had CO2 put through it. I know there are purities of CO2 out there, but what would affect the "usability" of this regulator that would render it not good enough for kegging?
Thanks!
alow

mostly I'm just concerned the internal parts are corroded and aren't going to maintain a regulated pressure. crazy pressure changes would just suck for dispensing beer.

the fact it was a calcium reactor for a reef tank doesn't matter...like you said, only pure CO2 has been inside the unit.

kilroy said:
That regulator looks like it is an O2 regulator - not a CO2 regulator.
I think that the fittings are different, to stop people hooking up the wrong tanks ect.. for example hooking up a CO2 tank to a Hospital that is pushing out O2 (for example).
So you probably want to check on that.

Kilroy

It says "Oxygen Series Compressed Gas Regulator" at the bottom front. That being said, it's been hooked up to a 20lb CO2 tank for several years, so I know that connection is OK.

I'd also need to get a splitter for the line out. I'm on the fence about it, but I may just get a whole new regulator and utilize the 20lb tank (instead of getting a 5lb tank).

Latest posts

Back