Oktoberfest question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtbrown54

Reaction score
Hey there,

I've got everything to brew an Oktoberfest this weekend...except an Oktoberfest yeast.

Can I get away with using a dry lager yeast instead??

Use W-34/70, it's a German lager strain, will do the job well. Really, unless you're competing or something, the hate against dry lager yeast is somewhat unfounded. I'd avoid S-23 on German type lagers.

One 11.5g packet should be sufficent for a 5 gallon, relatively low OG (1.060 or below) batch. Use Mr. Malty's pitching calculator to be sure

FYI for anyone else...

Mr. Malty's pitching calculator calls for two packets of dry yeast for a 1.057 OG lager.

Josh

I've done it with 2 sachets of W34/70 (Weihenstephan strain) and it turned out great.

If you want to go another direction, I've used White Labs' European Ale yeast for an Oktoberfest that came out beautifully (had to ferment slightly below the recommended temp and give it a little extra time (for an ale), but it was still a warmer and shorter fermentation than a lager yeast would need.....and after a few side-by-side tests on unknowing subjects, no one could guess that I made it with an ale yeast!

Back