Oktoberfest mess up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Ok, new to brewing and probably getting too big for my britches. Made my own recipe.

Did an all grain Oktoberfest (really a mocktoberfest but more on that in a minute)

5lbs Munich
3lbs Vienna
2lbs r row
1/2 lbs 60L Carmel
1 oz tettering hops for 60 minutes

Kviek lutra pitched at 90 degrees

now... having bought the stuff a while back without thinking and in a rush I ground up the whole lbs of Carmel. Beer is now wicked dark.

thinking of calling it an oktporterfest and playing if off like I did that **** on purpose.

You'll still have beer at the end of this. I don't believe that there is an actual problem here. Report back after you've had a few pints and then we'll chime in.

You'll still have beer at the end of this. I don't believe that there is an actual problem here. Report back after you've had a few pints and then we'll chime in.

You’re not wrong about that. Out of all the hours and hours of research I’ve done for just a pair of brews it looks like a decent grain billing with a decent yeast. Sure once it’s bottled it will taste great.

Ok, so tried a taste test before priming. Pretty good. Rather mellow, didn’t take any gravity readings so who knows if it’s just light or not. But it taste like beer and good so far. Just have to wait a few weeks and we’ll see how it is primed abs cold.

throwing this into brewers friend, assuming a 7.5g boil and 6 gallons post boil, I got an SRM of 11.3 with the half pound and 13.6 with the full pound, not a huge difference.

This was also using munich "dark" at 10Lovibond, Vienna at 4 and 2 row at 1.8. It was something like 8.5 before i added the c60 to the recipe.

I don't think either are close to a porter though, BF says an American porter starts at like 22 all the way up to mid 40s.

my own marzen was right at 10 SRM, and it is a bit darker than i had expected but im happy with that

Ok finally had a bottle. Love this Lutra carbed fully in less than a week!

Anyway, beer was delicious. Had that crisp taste to it. Didn’t take any gravity readings so I don’t know about efficiency but it seems a little light tasting. I know Oktoberfest is considered easy drinking so can’t tell if it’s me or not. A friend said it was the best home brew they ever had and tasted professional. I’d tentatively say I’d somewhat agree I’d never know it was homebrew but for the slightly lighter flavor.

Here's some for comparison. Sam adams Octoberfest and the one we just did this year. Ours was a 15 SRM. Was yours dark like these?

20200907_183142.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

Back