OK to use L14-30 plug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
I have an L14-30 plug that came with a generator that I bought a few years ago, and was thinking about using it on my power cord that feeds my element. I was planning on picking up some SJ cord at home depot to make the cord and attach the L14-30 plug to the end that connects to the control panel. Here's my question, the SJ cord is 10/4 and the L14-30 connector is 4 prong. Obviously the element only uses the 2 hot legs (and I will be running the ground to the skirt of the keggle). Is there any issue just capping the neutral off at the kettle end and simply not running a neutral wire to the recepticle, since it's not needed in this application? Is there an issue using a 4 prong plug in only a 3 wire application?

I am using (2) L14-30 plugs on my electric brew rig.... basically feed it two separate 30a lines... but I am using all 4 wires for the control box and then using 3 wires like you described for the elements... 2 hot and 1 ground... no neutral...

I am using (2) L14-30 plugs on my electric brew rig.... basically feed it two separate 30a lines... but I am using all 4 wires for the control box and then using 3 wires like you described for the elements... 2 hot and 1 ground... no neutral...

Sounds like my set up. I have multiple cords with different plugs (m) set up to L14-30 plugs (f). this way I can take my control box to places with different power outlets and use my rig easily...

Back