Ok I am lost with the All Grain Brewing instruction!! Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Reaction score
New to all grain brewing and a little lost with the attached instructions. It says 90 boil time, but hops 60 min boil time. So does that mean I put the hops in after 30mins. If someone could break down this sheet for me that would be awesome!!!!! THANKS

IMG_20160126_180852.jpg

Did someone else make that for you? As for your question, yes thats what it means. 60 minute hop additions mean you add the hops with 60 minutes left in the boil regardless of how long the boil is.

New to all grain brewing and a little lost with the attached instructions. It says 90 boil time, but hops 60 min boil time. So does that mean I put the hops in after 30mins. If someone could break down this sheet for me that would be awesome!!!!! THANKS

that's exactly it

Beersmith Brewsheet

Sheet came with my kit and I was a little confused with it. Also, how long does it need to ferment? And how long does it need to sit in bottles before drinking?

Also, do I boil 5 gallons and put in mash tun and let it sit for 60mins then add 1.78gallons for sparge to make for total wort boil?? Sorry about the questions!

new to all-grain brewing, you've brewed with extracts, right?

once you hit the boil, everything you've done with extracts is the same thing you'll be doing with all-grain

ferment until successive gravity readings several days apart remain constant. package (keg/bottle) any time after that, but give the yeast a couple more days to finish up. sit in the bottle a week or 2 (or 3) at 70° and ready to drink

Sheet came with my kit and I was a little confused with it. Also, how long does it need to ferment? And how long does it need to sit in bottles before drinking?

I would tell you ferment it for 3 weeks (min). Send it to secondary for another week and then bottle and let them set for yet another 2 weeks. BUT I like to take my time when I brew and drink beer that is good and done. Depending on the yeast you used, how much you pitched, the OG of the beer and the ferment temp is really going to be the majors in when its done. Use your hydrometer and don't bottle till the beer is done fermenting.

Cheers
Jay

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs 10.4 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 50.0 %
4 lbs 10.4 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 50.0 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 11.63 qt of water at 165.7 F 150.0 F 60 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 72.0 F/72.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
sparge with 5.00 gal water at 168.0 F

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.043 SG Est OG: 1.051 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.85 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 14.3 IBUs

Are you doing BIAB or mash tun?

Specific volumes are very much determined by YOUR actual set up and process.

It is hard to give an exact answer, but we can get you in the ball park.

Volume wise, you want to end up with roughly 6.75 gallons of water after mash in, to start your boil. Since grain absorbs water you will want to factor that in to your pre boil volumes. Start with .1 gallons per pound of grain as absorbsion rate. So for every 10 pounds of grain use an extra gallon of water to your pre boil volume (added to 6.75).

Fermenting. How long? Till its done. Sounds silly, but that's how long it takes. Get a hydrometer, after 10 days start taking readings every 3rd day. When you have the same reading 2x in a row it's done. (Generally happens at 10 days, and another few for yeasties to clean up after themselves).

Time in bottle. It will take a minimum of 3 days to carb, and it will only happen that fast if all the planets align just right. Give it a minimum of 2 weeks. Then another 2-3 days in fridge for CO2 to incorporate in to the beer. The warmer you carb the faster the process will happen. Don't go ape$hit and carb at 100 degrees. Find a room that is 65/70 degrees and you are golden.

If you want just general rules.

If mash tun mash with 4.75 gallons of water. Sparge with 4 gallons. This should get you close.

If BIAB start with 7.5 gallons of water and sparge to achieve pre boil volume.

Let it ferment for 3 weeks at 65-70

Let it bottle condition 3 weeks at same

Put it in fridge for a week.

Drink.

Also, do I boil 5 gallons and put in mash tun and let it sit for 60mins then add 1.78gallons for sparge to make for total wort boil?? Sorry about the questions!

Not sure I'm reading the way everyone else is, but you don't boil the mash.

The reason why you have to boil for 90 mins is because you are using pilsner malt. You have to boil it longer to evaporate the DMS that's in pilsner that doesn't exist in other malts.

I think a question that is being overlooked is: where did you get this kit that they literally gave you no help whatsoever? That is a BeerSmith sheet so I'm assuming it is from a LHBS. I would've hoped that they would have talked to you about your experience and walked you through anything you didn't understand.

Latest posts

Back