Oh the Elusive Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctvLS

Reaction score
Hi, i've been having some issues with the head retention in my latest beers, also in some styles i've been trying to add more body without much success. My mash temps are 68ºc (154ºF) to 66º (150º) normaly, and use Single infusion mashes, and then Decoction to raise the temperature to Mash Out. (i do the decoction beacause i like the flavors it adds and because i find i can control it more than a second infusion).
So the big question is: how can i improve head retention and add a bit of body, i wanted to try Flaked Barley but here in Mexico it is very hard to find (or at least i havent found a place to buy it where they dont charge a tons for shipping it to my place)
so maybe i was thinking Unmalted Wheat? or Barley? could that work, what changes would i need to make in my mashing schedule to add those grains.
I can find Carapils but i've read not so good reviews about it and im hesitant to use it.
any other ideas that i might be missing?

carapills, flaked oats, flaked barley... those are what i use for better body and head. could always try some oatmeal and toss it into the mash and see what happens. i'm sure most if not a crap ton of grain down there isn't cheap.

I like white or red wheat myself. Rahr and Briess offer them, and to be clear, they're not unmalted.

flaked or malted wheat will also help

if you have a health food store nearby you can probably find flaked barley

there is nothing wrong with carapils - i think the issues most people take with it is overuse when it's not needed or using it in every recipe as a "crutch"

I will keep on trying to find flaked barley, and health stores sound like an excelent idea havent tried those. I was also wondering in how to add unmalted grains as an adjunt, should i cereal mash those or not? i've used unmalted Wheat in Wit beers successfully but the cereal mash is tiresome and i want to do it only if necesary

I will keep on trying to find flaked barley, and health stores sound like an excelent idea havent tried those. I was also wondering in how to add unmalted grains as an adjunt, should i cereal mash those or not? i've used unmalted Wheat in Wit beers successfully but the cereal mash is tiresome and i want to do it only if necesary

if you can get any of the above grains flaked you can just add to mash (no need to crush) as the flaking process will pregelentize them

Well i tasted my lastest batch yesterday, and i dont know if that bit of carapils i added (0.2 kg) or better brewing practices but my latest IPA has some everlasting head :D

Back