Oh shyt--I goofed this time i think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okbrewman

Reaction score
Any1 ever forget to add the hops during boiling? I did it this morning--

Boiled--put in fermentor--added water to 5 gallons--then turned around and saw my baggies of hops. FCKKKKKK. I then boiled the hops and added it.

Please tell me itll be just fine:mug:

Well...obviously it's not optimal, but it will still be beer! How much water did you boil the hops in, and for how long? I'm betting your final beer will not be nearly as bitter as intended.

They do make hop extract for adjustment of bittering after the fact, although I've never tried them.

I'd consider it a learning experience, and continue to ferment and bottle. It will still be beer, just not the beer you had in mind!

IsoHop Bitterness Extract

thx guys--bout what i figured--was my first "own" recipe too--

A dark shiner bock type beer Im hoping--awwell, may turn out better

My friend made this same error, and his beer turned out fine.

We actually discovered the problem while the wort was cooling down in the ice bath, prior to pitching the yeast. We boiled the hops in water and added it to the wort. It turned out fine still. Don't worry about it too much.

Others have made this same mistake and posted that they took the same steps that you did and had very drinkable beer.

RDWHAHB - but don't forget next time! :D

To be honest this is probably the one thing I'll never forget to do. Sure there will be others but the hop aroma is so nice and pungent I just couldn't see forgetting it. :) Now maybe with continuous or several-stage hopping I'd forget an addition, but without ANY hop aroma my brain would be setting off bells. ;)

How did you 'boil the hops'? In plain water? if so, you really didn't extract much bitterness...you need wort to properly isommerize the alpha acids.

I have never forgotten the hops. I have added a half ounce too much, and I've screwed up my priming sugar addition, but never forgotten an ingredient. But I am borderline OCD when it comes to organizing a brew day.

you may be able to dry hop it and still have a drinkable brew.

5 days in the bottle---took a little taste test--

worst fkin beer that has ever touched me lips--

wont make this mistake again

okbrewman said:

Don't tell me too sweet? Right?

I never forgot to add the hops, but I under hopped by design. I got a few comments from people about my beer being to hoppy. They were wrong. I believe they were confused with astringency caused by heating steeping grains too high. I made a batch that was kind of sweet. I drank half of it before I dumped it out.

There's not a lot you can do other than adding some hop oil or mixing the beer with some other beer that is super hopped.

To be honest this is probably the one thing I'll never forget to do. Sure there will be others but the hop aroma is so nice and pungent I just couldn't see forgetting it. :) Now maybe with continuous or several-stage hopping I'd forget an addition, but without ANY hop aroma my brain would be setting off bells. ;)

I agree. Adding hops has to be my favorite part about brewing. I might screw up the quantity, but I will never forget to add them completely.

Like it was said, don't toss it. Just set it aside for 2-3 weeks at least, and you might have a completely different story. Maybe even 4-5 weeks. Just be patient. One of my beers that I thought was ruined after about a week in the bottles now tastes awesome after they've been bottled for about a month.

Like it was said, don't toss it. Just set it aside for 2-3 weeks at least, and you might have a completely different story. Maybe even 4-5 weeks. Just be patient. One of my beers that I thought was ruined after about a week in the bottles now tastes awesome after they've been bottled for about a month.

If in bottles (and not contaminated), just stick it in the corner for a couple months. Try one then. If you still don't like it I'd do as Schlenkerla mentioned (mixing with another beer). Who knows, 6 months from now you might screw up the other direction and make a beer so hoppy you can't unpucker your mouth. Then you can mix 1:1 or some ratio of the 2 and get a great beer.

Five days in the bottle...OF COURSE it's gonna taste like crap...with or without the hops...It's still GREEN!

Read this....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

Evidently with the update we lost the ability to post inline videos...SO here's the link to it.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=FlBlnTfZ2iw[/ame]

Back