Oh Noes! Yeast rafts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancphotog

Reaction score
I was browsing some of the photos in here and I saw someone that posted pix of their brew that they thought was infected. Then I go to move my Belgium Red Ale into 2ndary and I see the same thing. Hovever, after being in the carboy for a week, I think the white-ish substance has fallen. I'm not too worried about it, because it tastes damned good. ...but still, have a look. I'd love some expert opinions!
skull002.jpg

skull001.jpg

Yeah? Do you think it's just some disturbed yeast? ....not like insane yeast, but yeast that has entered suspension.

If every beer I had that looked like that was infected, then I would have had a lot of infected beer. Looks perfectly normal to me.

good old yeast rafts... i think this looks like a beer that is ready to bottle or keg (maybe another week in the old primary).

I had a similar instance about 12 hours after pitching BM's centennial blonde recipe. The raft was really just the start of a really thick krauzen that spread across the entire top layer of wort - then as fermentation increased, bubbles broke through that thick layer and filled up the remaining portion of my carboy.

I was so worried I'd start seeing tentacles form off of that sucker that I monitored it almost every other hour or so. I should've just RDWHAHB.

Yeah, this was after the krausen had formed and fallen. OG was 1.044 and after 4 days it was down to 1.009 and steady. I didn't realize it could finish up that fast. I still waited a full 9 days to rack to 2ndary. I'm gonna try and leave it in for 2 weeks, but others are telling me to go ahead and bottle. I really just want it to clarify a little more. I want to be proud of it's looks as well as it taste.

This looks just like my first Batch of beer a pale all after I ranked to secondary. I was scared it was tainted but after close inspection its like a thound ity bitty bubbles. I asume its just gas and/or residual fermentation! the pics and comments in this thread made me feel better.

I'll echo the above...After the first thought that I had potentially screwed up my batch had been disproven with a healthy krauzen, I had a similar scare last night when looking at the secondary - however, it looks the same as the OPs pics. No worries!

Back